PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable front springs for 69 Camaro

rbr4155
02-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for some adjustable front springs for my 69 and some tips on setting em up. The local shop said that the old spring can shoot out and knock my head off if I do it wrong. Sounds like one of those lines they tell you so you won't try anything at home and keep a few bucks in your pocket.

dennis68
02-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Your front coils can and have killed people, they are under tremonous pressure. Do not take that warning lightly.

Not sound like an ass but you seem new to the world of high performance/fabrication. Ajustable coils are not a newbie type modification. There are a few companies (QA1 comes to mind) that offer bolt in coil-over kits.

I would strongly recommend getting some form of an education (even as a helper in a shop) before tearing into brakes/suspension, it's not just your life here. If you do a suspension/brake mod and it fails you could possibly hurt a lot of people.

Steve25
02-18-2005, 12:28 PM
I completely agree with Dennis because I have seen exactly what can happen first hand with the springs on a first gen. I was installing a set of moroso drag race springs in a customers subframe. The spring compressor hook broke off and the spring flew right through the half in thick wood building door. I don't buy really cheap tools anymore. Also, now I use two thick chains and harness the coil spring to a secure place until the spring is compressed enough to get the lower a-arm under it so that the spring can't go anywhere.

Most people aren't as precautious as I am, but I have two kids and wife to support and I can't do this if I am dead. Installing the springs is very dangerous if not enough care is taken. I would also avoid using an air gun to tighten the spring compressor tool on a first gen. because the vibration from the impact can cause the spring compressor's claws to slip off of the spring.

BRIAN
02-18-2005, 03:17 PM
You know what I am glad to see some words of caution being used here. There are a lot of people doing some serious mods and there usually is no words of caution from the more experienced. There is always something new to be learned and that is why I always read or ask equestion even though I have done it for years. I guess hey that looks sick!! is always more in fashion thean hey that shouldn't be done that way. Anyway I always chain the spring to the arm and use bolt through links for adjustability. lower jack while standing up using fender as shield. Good luck.

Stu Seitz
02-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Wow I feel like a real idiot, I just stood on my subframe (so the oposite way the spring would be flying) and went to town with a pickle fork.