PDA

View Full Version : factory swap

796spdbu
02-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Does any one know a soultion to swaping disc brakes onto the front of a 72' malibu.The car i bought has drum fronts.I heard that i could swap 78-81 camaro spindles with out the hotchkis arms. I'm not ready do do the full monte on this car just yet.I dont want to spend alot of time and money on this car.I bought it barn fresh, all I had to do when I brought it home was put a battery and a plug wire on it.It has the origanal 307'' engine with a performer intake and an hei ignition.I have bought a hotchkis spring kit as the driver side front spring was sagging.I have purchased a set of 16x8" trans-am wheels for $150.00 with good tires.I'm not wanting to tear into it, just swap on some disc brakes.The car runs t good to not to keep driving.I figure that i could enjoy it will I was building my 79' bu.I'll try to get some of my pics on here,or go to gtmotorsportsonline.com to see some of my projects,like my 95'camaro with a 2002 ss nose.Any help would be greatly appreicated

Milow68
02-18-2005, 12:07 PM
This last week I have been doing some research. I found that A-bodies from 68-72 are direct bolt up. 67-69 F-bodies will work also 68-74 X-bodies will work too. Don't quote me on all the Nova years still doing research. Some of the 64-67 A-body stuff works too.
I am going to try converting my drum spindles on my 69 Chevelle to work with disc, to keep the cost down. I am still wondering what caliper brackets, dust shield interchange.
I will keep you posted.
Brad
PS I know I opened a big can of worms on this I thought it would be easy too. Have been doing a lot of research.

Milow68
02-18-2005, 12:08 PM
You can use some of the 12 disc brake rotors etc... Look on teamchevelle.com in there brake section.
Enjoy I know I learned alot, almost too much to be dangerous. :hmm:

796spdbu
02-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Daid pozzi had a link to a site on this site were you could use fourth gen rotors and calipers to get 12" brakes.Ive priced the parts at the local advance store and it was like $250.00 for every thing,I think.KNow that you help me figure out which spindles to use I can get better brakes than I had planned.I'll look in my files tonight for the site.I printed out the pages.So I'll get back to you.Thanks again.

gmachinz
02-18-2005, 04:24 PM
You can also use B-body spindles. I'm working on a '69 Chevelle right now as a matter of fact for a customer. Use B-body calipers, hoses and frame brackets and use 86-92 Camaro 1LE 12" rotors. That should be cheaper than the fourth gen. stuff-but then again, the fourth gens use dual piston calipers.....but for a driver and cost effectiveness, I'd go with the single piston calipers-I have the swap on my '78 Monte and I have no problems with them. -Jabin

796spdbu
02-18-2005, 05:13 PM
I to have the b-body stuff on my 79' malibu,but with the hotchkis arms.I was not wanting to spend that kind of money right now on this car.Can I run the spindles with out the upper arms.Thanks again

796spdbu
02-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Hey Gmachinz,I just realized that you helped me with the rear wheel sizing on my 79'bu.Thanks for all the input.The 72'mali is my budget build just to get me buy until Iget the 79' finished,Then finish my 95'camaro.Thanks again