PDA

View Full Version : Are slosh baffles in a gas tank worth it?

aggressive male
08-20-2008, 07:52 AM
I just realized the gas tank from my 82 regency parts car has a metal and a plastic slosh baffle in it. Would you guys put it on your driver just because of that? Even though the one on the driver now is much newer? Would this help give you better grip on curves? The parts car was originally a diesel so I guess that must explain it. I'm also trying to figure out why the fuel sending unit on this tank has an additional wire and some little black box under it. It sure doesn't look like an intank fuel pump. Can someone explain that to me? Thanks

406 Q-ship
08-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Baffling in the tank can be very important, it depends on the application. In Fuel Injected vehicles is critical, just a split second of the pickup being uncovered will cause a loss of power just as the car comes off the corner. Go drive a late model vehicle with less than 1/4 tank around corners hard and you will get the picture in a hurry. In a Carburated application baffling in the tanks is not so critical but you still can get fuel starvation when going through hard long high G's corners like turn 9 at Willow Springs. The baffling in a Olds Diesel is to keep from uncovering the pick up, if you have ever tried to start a diesel that has been run out of fuel you learn real quick that diesels hate air in the fuel system.

aggressive male
08-20-2008, 10:48 AM
406 Q-ship,

Thanks for the reply, I converted my driver to fuel injection not to long ago so I guess you just explained why it sometimes doesn't have the power I was expecting. The tank looked rusty enough for me to question wether it still holds but I filled with water and it held so maybe if I put on 3 layers of POR-15 I'll be all set? Hmmmmmm after I do that where you put the gas in looks like it is a diesel fuel tank because it doesn't have that door that flips under it. What do I do to keep a gas station guy from thinking it's a diesel and filling it with diesel someday? Hmmmmm