PDA

View Full Version : Procharger Alternator mounting on BBC

Tom Vogel
08-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Im in the process of installing my F1R on my BBC. The alternator has to go on lower passenger side (Sanden AC compressor will be on passeger topside) Anyway, has anyone done this and wouldnt there be clearance issues with the water pump/hose outlet? Any bracket/alternator tips would be much appreciated before I order up. I want to go with a 140amp multi wire setup if that helps.
TIA, Tom

whytry
08-20-2008, 08:29 AM
I have that setup on my car. I am running the CSI low mount alt bracket. I have the Meziere electric water pump too though. It's a 68 Camaro.

Where did you get the bracket for the Sanden compressor from? I have a/c too, but it's not installed since I can't find a bracket for it. The only option I know of it to get the Procharger bracket that mounts the alt low on pass side and AC high on the pass side too, but it requires the Pancake AC compressor....

Tom Vogel
08-21-2008, 05:26 PM
I dont have my vintage air unit yet. Im waiting to see if I can fit the alt. on the lower passenger side first. I dont think the AC mount will be a problem though, thats where most are placed. I am a little concerned about getting a good belt wrap with one belt running AC; Alt; and water pump together.
How well does that Mezierre elect. pump work? No performance or interferance problems?

whytry
08-25-2008, 08:36 AM
I've had no problems with it so far, and I've driven in the 100 degree weather up here in Sacramento without issues...

If you go electric its pretty easy, just get the bracket made for electric pump. CSI and Meziere both have one. I basically mounts to the electric water pump and places the alt down low on pass side. I've made a couple templates for my A/C as well, but have not gone and had one cut out yet, for I am a little worried about the V-belt running from crank to A/C due to distance don't want to through the belt, so I am trying to make something like the stock Procharger bracket where the A/C and alt run off the same belt... I will probably have to run some type of idler or tensioner otherwise I've heard about issues and throwing the belt often. I've also been told that most V-belts don't like the have back tension, it causes the belt to wear out quicker and break faster because the belt is not supposed to be pressed that way.

What are you going to run for the bracket? I have not found a stand alone bracket for A/C that works with the electric water pump....

Tom Vogel
08-25-2008, 08:04 PM
I was going to see what March pulleys has to offer, if I dont find it there, Jegs has many options. I also have the tools and welders to complete the task myself if that becomes neccessary... we will see I guess.
For the record, Procharger says one belt should be fine to run waterpump, alt. and AC... Hm... if thats true, you should be way safe since you arent running a water pump pulley.

whytry
08-26-2008, 08:55 AM
I have talked to them several times, and the issue I have is the distance between the A/C and the crank pulley without any type of tension on the belt it has a slight wobble and has been know to fly off even with the pulleys aligned perfectly, from what one of the Procharger techs told me. They were the ones that said I should run some type of tensioner or even if its just for another surface to go around due to the distance between the crank and A/C pulley....

I've talked to March too, they don't offer one for electric water pumps. I have an extra alternator bracket from March laying around and the mounting points between that one and the one from CSI/Meziere are different so I know the March setup for A/C on pass side uses the water pump as 2 of the mounting positions and they have told me it will no mount up on electric water pumps.. :(

I will probably be making one soon, we'll see...

67 caprice
08-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Check this https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21542

Adam's 55 Chevy
09-06-2008, 07:37 AM
I made my hose from stainless tube. It's real tight but it won't ever move and hit the alternator.

Tom Vogel
09-07-2008, 08:35 PM
I was throwing around a similar idea in my head. Has it caused any flow/cooling issues? Got any pics?