PDA

View Full Version : Rear LS1 brake questions

Eric Howell
08-19-2008, 03:04 AM
Looking for a couple of answers, tried searching and came up empty handed.

What is the measurement from axle hub flange to axle housing flange?
What has to be done to run C5/6 calipers? (I have a set, no abutments though)pics if you have them.
Any companies sell directional vane rotors for these?Any help is appreciated
Thanks, Eric

Apogee
08-19-2008, 07:37 AM
1. Late model GM 10/12-bolt brake offset dimension = 2.77"

2. C5/C6 caliper bodies and LS1 caliper bodies are more or less interchangeable, so you can run the C5/C6 calipers in the LS1 pad abutment brackets, but you'll need to run the corresponding anti-rattle springs for the C5/C6 calipers. Here's a link to a write-up concerning this exact swap: http://phantomss.com/camaro/c5calipers/index.shtml

3. Directional vane rear rotors...none that I know of. DBA sells pillar vane versions (their "Kangaroo Paw" design) which are similar to directional vane rotors showing about 20% improved heat transfer properties over a conventional straight vane rotor.

HTH,
Tobin
KORE3

Eric Howell
08-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks Tobin!
Any chance you stock the DBA rotors?

Apogee
08-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks Tobin!
Any chance you stock the DBA rotors?

We don't typically stock the LS1 rear rotors, however DBA stocks them in slotted and "XS" drilled & slotted versions in Los Angeles. The plain option is currently only stocked in Australia, so those would require a boat ride and some time...about 6-8 weeks. The XS D&S pattern that DBA uses is fairly unique, so we would normally suggest matching fronts and rears for aesthetic reasons. You can check out their stuff at www.dba.com.au (http://www.dba.com.au). I'd put their casting quality up against any of the top rotor manufacturers.

Tobin

The WidowMaker
08-19-2008, 10:47 AM
has anyone told dba that no one likes their gold rotors and that ugly d/s pattern????? hard to beat the quality though

s10cyncrvr
08-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Do you know if it's possible to run C5 rotors on a LS1 rear set-up(calipers/e-brake system)? If it's not a simple swap, what areas would cause trouble?

Eric Howell
08-19-2008, 02:50 PM
The rotor hat is deeper on the LS1 disks to allow room for c-clip removal.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41651&highlight=LS1

s10cyncrvr
08-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the link. That clears it up.

Apogee
08-19-2008, 05:12 PM
has anyone told dba that no one likes their gold rotors and that ugly d/s pattern????? hard to beat the quality though

Yes...we tell them every opportunity we get that the yellow/gold color just doesn't work with most paint schemes. We've begged and pleaded with them to switch to the gunmetal grey and all we can do is hope that we're wearing them down.

Personally, I like the XS D&S pattern, but that's just me. We had them do a batch of rotors with a custom version of just the XS slotting (w/o the holes) for a customer and they turned out pretty slick IMHO.

Tobin