PDA

View Full Version : Rear Mounted Battery Cable Length 1st gen Camaro?

Rjrock
08-20-2004, 06:21 PM
Please offer me some advice on the length i need for mounting battery rear trunk for a 1st gen camaro. (note same position as DSE Twister)

JonB69FB
08-20-2004, 09:37 PM
I can't comment on DSE's car but the 20' cable length that comes in the Moroso kit #74055 was more than enough for my rear battery mount--I'd say I used 16' or less:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Some tips/tricks I have:

- Use the Summit bulkhead connectors to pass the positive cable through the firewall.
- I grounded my system through the roll bar (welded a bolt to one of the reinforcing plates) and ran an extra ground (2ga--same as positive cable) directly from the frame to one of the starter bolts.

Pro-touring towncar
08-21-2004, 09:46 PM
unless you are going with a kit I would use some high quality car audio power wire. You can get it in colors to compliment your car. Plus they usually flow more power that standard power cable, because it has more strands. Can usually get it on Ebay for about a buck a foot for 4 guage.

Tim

Matt@RFR
08-21-2004, 10:04 PM
Audio cable isn't designed to withstand underhood heat. My suggestion is to go to your friendly local welding supply store and buy some ground or stinger cable. Good stuff. And cheap!

Kenova
08-22-2004, 08:10 AM
I agree with Matt, welding cable is the way to go. It has a very high strand count, very flexable, dirt cheap, and tuff as nails. I paid $1.50 a foot, and that's Canadian funds. I'm sure I've seen it with yellow insulation too, but wasn't able to find any.
Ken