PDA

View Full Version : Help - Lincoln 175HD or Miller 140

Gandalf
08-15-2008, 08:55 AM
I have the opportunity to purchase a couple of used Mig welders for the same money. They are both brands people seem to recomend and I'm unsure if the extra rating of the Lincoln 175HD should outweigh the love people seem to have for the Miller brand.

1 - A 220V Lincoln 175HD (still with the original wire spools, video, manuals, regulator, helmet (not the hand-held one), gloves and cart. 2yrs old - little use.

2 - Miller 140 (Not AutoSet model) with cart. 1yr old - little use.

They are both VERY lightly used (look new). Assuming a novice wanting to learn and I have 220v in the garage. Intended for autobody work only (sheetmetal and possibly sub-frame would be thickest metal) - which one would you choose and why?

Thanks,
g.

kamaroman68
08-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Me personally - Miller, but if they are the same price i would go with the larger unit. 2 reasons for the larger unit... later down the road you will want to weld heavier steel- the smaller one won't do as good a job. I made this mistake with my first welder. 2nd reason the duty cycle of the bigger welder will be better, more time to weld less time letting the machine cool down. Make sure whichever one you choose will accept shielding gas.