PDA

View Full Version : The 64 million dollar engine question

67ragtp
02-17-2005, 03:30 PM
You've got 11 grand to work with, pan to carb no accessories with a damper/ dynoed. Must be a small block going in a 67 camaro with full dse front and rear suspension /Tko 600 /baer/hydroboost/ front 245s and rear 315s . What engine do you choose and who builds it? Thanks Rich

protour_chevelle
02-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Stroked 408 Gen III iron block with a custom single t-76 turbo from Combination Motorsports. hehehe.

Thats me, However an LS6 has that big block thing to it. What are they 427 or 454, then do a custom twin turbo setup.

Edit: Just realized the complete engine running would probably take up that 11grand. Then add 4-5 for the turbo set-up. Ack, my dreams!

-Matt

ViperBlue68
02-17-2005, 04:40 PM
I say look @ Shafiroff's Ultrastreet engines looks like alot of bang for your buck! http://www.shafiroff.com/ultrastreet.asp my .02 cents anyway

Matt
02-18-2005, 01:46 AM
LS1, 427 kit, your choice of builders (that puts you at 5500 build if you look around), Another 500 for injectors (so 6k). Buy some good heads, your choice of more than enough good options. Then stick the rest in something lucrative for a few months and turbo it, since you'll be about 2000 short of turboing it.

Neil B
02-18-2005, 07:31 AM
In my experience, your 11K budget will be just enough to get you a custom normally-aspirated, carbureted engine based on an aftermarket block, high quality forged bottom end, with killer heads from your choice of builders.

Fuelie Fan
02-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Slow down everybody

What's the application? Cruising? Drag? Autocross? Magazine car? If this car was destined for tight autocross courses, for example, you could get all the engine you need for $5000 and spend the rest on suspension!

Matt
02-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Sounds like he has the suspension covered. On this site 9/10 times people want a mix of street/drag/auto-x/road course engine setup.

67ragtp
02-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Fuelie,

The primary application is going to be cruiseing, an occasional trip to the drag strip or autocross. I really want to drive this one and its got to be reliable for the power tour or woodward type cruise. Unfortunatly I dont think fuel injection is in my budget since it adds about 3k with electronics. Theres no need to break up the engine budget for suspension parts since the front sub is pretty much maxed out with the tubular uppers and lowers DSE coil over relocation mods and the hotchkis bar. I used kyles 600 steering gear basically every thing you could purchase from DSE is in the car along with the mini tub kit and shock cross member and all the suspension(3" drop leafs and koni's).

Im a bit of a horsepower/torque junky as Im sure most of you are. This one has to be reliable and have the ability to cruise long distances.

The 434 from shafiroff does look inviting, I would like to explore other avenues besides them or Bill mitchell. If I order an engine from someone on the west coast they need to be able to ship across the country. If there are good builders over there willing to do mail order let me know.

Thanks Rich

Tiger
02-18-2005, 12:25 PM
I'd pickpocket an old lady (or save some more) and get one of these

http://www.shafiroff.com/472_675_engine.asp

ciao
André

Tiger
02-18-2005, 12:28 PM
there is also a company called awesome engines which use to advertice in National Dragster which makes those 472's.
Maybe you could save a dollar or two not paying for Shafiroff's name and save that poor old lady that you wanted to pickpocket to get to your goal. SHAME ON YOU! :o)

Ciao
André

67ragtp
02-18-2005, 01:13 PM
The 472 is awesome but, too many hassles associated with a tall deck block. Exhaust ports raised approx. 1/3 of an inch means custom built headers. Not to mention an oil filter relocation kit since the tall decks dont have a filter boss at least the one shaf uses dosent. And the engine starts at 11k your really at close to 14 by the time you get a carb/ignition and upgrade to a decent connecting rod.

CamaroAJ
02-18-2005, 08:14 PM
summit has a Huntsville 383 short block for $3300, forged pistons and crank, and eagle rods, get some good heads and a roller cam and the holley commander 950 and injectors and you cen get close to 600 horse. i think this is that path i may go down.

ProdigyCustoms
02-18-2005, 08:50 PM
I wouldn't build a 383 for my tow truck. I would suggest a 406 to 434, (costing about the same to build around $8000 or so), and ProCharge it (D-1SC around $2500 or so), non intercooled, through a carb. Straight forward, simple, and goobs of streetable, usable power.

Tiger
02-19-2005, 02:22 AM
Prodigy has a good idea there, then you could always buy an intercooler later if you want.

Ciao
André

kamaroman68
02-19-2005, 07:08 AM
You could try a company named speedomotive also. Believe there on the west coast. I talked to them and they seem pretty reasonable. Anything from mild to wild. www.speedomotive.com (http://www.speedomotive.com)

Milow68
02-19-2005, 10:43 AM
I think Prodigy is on the right track try these guys
http://www.sd-concepts.com/
I talked to them a few monthes ago Jody B. sent me there direction for some info and prices. Supercharging Will Dit r done.

Brad

nvawgn
02-19-2005, 08:01 PM
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/motors.html

thejoker21
02-20-2005, 01:33 PM
I say you let me build the engine. I can build a Twin-turbo 427ci small block that will make around 1500 horses. e-mail me at [email protected] (http://[email protected])

Steve Chryssos
02-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Fuelie,

The primary application is going to be cruiseing, an occasional trip to the drag strip or autocross. I really want to drive this one and its got to be reliable for the power tour or woodward type cruise. Unfortunatly I dont think fuel injection is in my budget since it adds about 3k with electronics.
Im a bit of a horsepower/torque junky as Im sure most of you are. This one has to be reliable and have the ability to cruise long distances.
Thanks Rich

Rich,
Fuelie's right. Based on your response, your primary concerns should be idle quality, throttle response and reliability. In your case, displacement will serve you better than exotic parts or radical specs.

If you would like fuel injection, build a nice 406 based on a quality reconditioned block. Spend most of your money on good heads, valvetrain and fuel injection.

If you're okay with (or prefer) a carburetor, spend your fuel injection money on an aftermarket block and build a 415 or 427. Stay away from enticing 434, 454, 472 small blocks as block integrity can be compromised and cylinder head requirements go thru the roof.

JamesJ
02-21-2005, 12:28 AM
Prodigy, If you dont mind tell us alittle more. Maybe some specs: block, heads, size of cam, crank, etc... just wondering.