PDA

View Full Version : Stinkin' hard fuel line.....

shmoov69
08-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Not sure which section of the engine category this should go in, so if you mods could move it to the approporiate place, it would be appreaciated!

Ok, I am putting the 3x2 set up on the 58 and am wanting to plumb it in hard line (5/16" brake line) for the looks of a factory install. But after about 3 times of cutting, bending and flare-ing (sp?!), half of the fittings still leak! Some leak and some don't, then I take it apart and the other ones start leaking! What am I missing?!? I have a decent cheapie flariing tool and such, but WTF? I am doing a double flare and have all the correct fittings, I am back filing the outside to chamfer it and all, but still have problems.
What advice do you guys have? (hopefully you wont tell me to go buy the $300 wonder tool to do it with either!)
Tips? Tricks? Ideas???
Thanks!

Jim Nilsen
08-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Unless you are using high pressure you can solve your problem with simple nut and ferrule compression fittings.

oestek
08-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Unless you are using high pressure you can solve your problem with simple nut and ferrule compression fittings.

This is a good route, but if you want to give your existing setup another try, I had a similar fuel leak at hard lines. The fix was to apply a small amount of grease or anti-sieze to the threads on the fitting. This allowed a smoother compression and I was able to make the connection a little tighter, as the fitting threads were on the verge of galling dry. The fitting cinched down real smooth, and the increased torque seated the flares better, and the leak stopped.

Vegas69
08-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Loosening the leaking fitting and retightening works as well.

parsonsj
08-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Seconding the loosen and tighten method.

Seconding the lube the threads method too.

I don't know double flaring... but on AN flaring, you need to make sure to have a bit of tube protruding through the flare tool to make the flare a bit wider.

Good luck.

jp

shmoov69
08-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys! The lube did the trick............once again!! Bada Bing!!
LOL!
I still had to reflare a few of them anyway though. For about a total of 5' of tubing (and 12 flares!) I used about 12' of tubing! LOL!

I gotta' rember to use the lube!!

And speaking of lube.....my wife is knocked up again!! Due March 24!!

indyjps
08-21-2008, 04:32 PM
hopefully it wasnt the same tube-O-lube

TA219
08-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Congrats Jimmy, better get that wagon going quick, it looks like you are going to need it !! lol