PDA

View Full Version : Header Paint?

Mean 69
02-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Has anyone had experience using Dupli-color header paint? It say in order to be effective, you need to heat cure in 8 hours or less. I just got a nice set of new headers but they are not coated. I don't want to go through the expense of having them ceramic coated, this is not a show car, but I don't want the to rust to bits either.

Help?
Mark

Rick Dorion
02-19-2005, 10:43 AM
I wound up buying Eastwood which I'll spray tomorrow. However, in looking at the Dupli-color the other day, it seems to me that the heat cycling cures and hardens the coating but can be done at any time. Eastwood says even running the motor will suffice. Although I'm sure the ingredients differ, I would hope that painting them works and then the heat treating is the icing. My motor won't be fired up for another month. BTW - sent you a PM on your new header pics.

astroracer
02-23-2005, 03:22 AM
All I can say is any paint is not going to give the results and longevity that a good coating will. I have never had paint last for more then a week or two. The Edelbrocks on my truck were coated three years ago and they still look brand new. Not to mention the other benefits of engine compartment heat reduction and less noise.
If you are planning to spend the money to have the headers properly prepped for painting just save the headaches and have them coated.
Best money spent in my book.
Mark

dhardison
02-23-2005, 04:38 AM
I agree with Mark. I've tried both Duplicolor and Eastwood header paints with disappointing results. With both products I applied per the instructions and they only lasted a couple months before flaking/peeling.

I had my most recent pair of headers Jet-Hot coated and have been VERY pleased with the looks and durability.

Dan

Rick Dorion
02-23-2005, 04:44 AM
I agree. In this case, for me, I'm not spending $ on coating 9 year old headers. The next set get coated! Only have to decide on what.

ProTeal55
03-24-2005, 03:58 PM
I have tried "header paint" on past projects , all with not so good results.

The best results are when I have had them ceramic coated inside and out, this is actually a easy way to pick up a few horsepower , and actually helps your motor run cooler. Most places that Powdercoat , also ceramic coat.

just my 2cents.........

ProdigyCustoms
03-26-2005, 05:39 AM
If you are going to paint, you really need to sandblast them first. But it will only last a short while. Painting over factory header paint will only make more of a mess.

bnickel
03-26-2005, 11:55 AM
i've used VHT cast iron manifold paint on my headers with very good results. i painted them over 2 years ago, granted the car has not been driven yet, but the engine has been run for more than an hour at atime on several occasions and the paint seems to be holding up really well. also used it to paint my old manifolds when the cr was a driver and it lasted for several years that way. you will need to sandblast them before paint to makes sure the paint adheres and actually functions correctly. if you paint it over the factory header paint it won't do any good since the paint underneath will burn off taking the vht with it. this is a good option for a driver that you don't want to spend a lot of money on, but it will never be as good as a ceramic coating.