PDA

View Full Version : Steering stops

TA219
08-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Can anyone help me out by posting a picture of their steering stops on their tubular lower control arms?

currently my front suspension is together minus the sway bar, and when i turn the wheel lock to lock the tie rod makes contact with my oil pan.

Currently i am running a stock steering box and the longer steering arms. Will a 3rd gen box have internal stops?

This is all new for me, so be gentle :cheers:

The car is a 67 Camaro with a LS1 installed, i am running an autokraft oil pan if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help

darren@ridetech
08-13-2008, 05:51 AM
One our StrongArms we have a bolt screwed into the lower arms acting as an adjustable steering stop. You may be able to do something like that.

JEFFTATE
08-13-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't think the 3rd gen box has internal stops.
I'm using one and I don't remember anything like that.
My car has a first gen small block , stock oil pan and stock steering arms . So I haven't had that same problem.

What longer arms are you using ??

TA219
08-13-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't think the 3rd gen box has internal stops.
I'm using one and I don't remember anything like that.
My car has a first gen small block , stock oil pan and stock steering arms . So I haven't had that same problem.

What longer arms are you using ??

The steering arms are the less desireable stock ones, they came in a few different lengths, the short ones are best for quick ratio steering according to david pozzi's page.... but i am trying to make due with the longer ones for the budgets sake right now

Thanks for the pic darren, i am going to see if i can make something like that work !!

JEFFTATE
08-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Hmmmm,
I don't know the answer.
I used a long Pitman arm and matching length idler arm.
Got the parts from Rare Parts.
My steering arms are the stock ones that came on my car.
Sorry , I can't be of more help.

Maybe David Pozzi's site has the answer somewhere ??