PDA

View Full Version : whats going on here... EFI with return line

ErikSOCAL
08-12-2008, 07:15 AM
I'm running 2 piece OEM style 3/8 fuel line in stainless for my supply and return lines to a SBC running an Edelbrock pro flo EFI and a Ricks tank with an intank walbro 255. The hardlines have the bubble flares cut off and flares with nuts with sleeves on them joined to teflon lines with AN hardware. I had some leaks at the fittings on initial start up and was going through all the fittings and getting them to seat.

here's my real question after all that detail - I disconnect the return line in the middle at the stock 2 piece location (under the passenger seat). I assumed that there would be some fuel in the rails and it would just spill out and stop. Well fuel kept pouring from the back half of the lines and never stopped. This surprised me as I thought the return would be low (or no) pressure and that the little rise over the rear axle would stop anything from the tank moving out. The tank was full in this case and I took off the gas cap to see if it would release pressure. It didn't work. So it just poured out at a steady stream for quite a while until I could get something on the end.

Can someone educate me on whats going on, do I have something set up wrong?

camcojb
08-12-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm running 2 piece OEM style 3/8 fuel line in stainless for my supply and return lines to a SBC running an Edelbrock pro flo EFI and a Ricks tank with an intank walbro 255. The hardlines have the bubble flares cut off and flares with nuts with sleeves on them joined to teflon lines with AN hardware. I had some leaks at the fittings on initial start up and was going through all the fittings and getting them to seat.

here's my real question after all that detail - I disconnect the return line in the middle at the stock 2 piece location (under the passenger seat). I assumed that there would be some fuel in the rails and it would just spill out and stop. Well fuel kept pouring from the back half of the lines and never stopped. This surprised me as I thought the return would be low (or no) pressure and that the little rise over the rear axle would stop anything from the tank moving out. The tank was full in this case and I took off the gas cap to see if it would release pressure. It didn't work. So it just poured out at a steady stream for quite a while until I could get something on the end.

Can someone educate me on whats going on, do I have something set up wrong?

nothing wrong, it's just siphoning out of the tank. Just like when you use a hose to siphon gas from a tank, once you get it started it will continue until you remove the hose or raise the end high enough to break the siphon; totally normal.

Jody

ErikSOCAL
08-12-2008, 10:42 AM
thanks Jody!! Good news is great!