PDA

View Full Version : coil spring compressor?

PSV
02-17-2005, 10:05 AM
What type of spring compressor works well on 1st gen camaro? I am having a heck of a time getting my subframe together as I can't seem to find a spring compressor that works with my set up. I am trying to install hotchkis 2" drop BB coil spings in a 69 camaro subframe with DSE upper and lower control arms. The local parts stores all had the same type tool which has the center bolt and two hooks on top and a fork shaped plate on the bottom. I could not get this to work as it would not compress the spring enough in the position it needed to be in an still be able to remove it once I was done. This seems so basic, but I have wasted two evening messing with this and I want to purchase one that others have used. The frame is off the car so I can't use the weight of the car a tool, LOL.

Steve25
02-17-2005, 11:02 AM
There is a coil spring compressor meant for the first gen. type of subframes. The one that I use is the napa part #3450 and the line code is SER which stands for service tools. I think this tool is made by KD tools so you can find it anywhere I believe. There should be instructions that show you the different ways to use this tool for different applications.

MrQuick
02-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Man don't you hate that, i simple job turn to dodo. Its alot harder with out the weight of the vehicle. For off the car i recommend this type of compressor. Its widely availible. https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif Not sure if its the same as Steve is reffering to?
The hooks on one side is threaded and the other isn't. It spins on the shaft and is held on by the bolt head.With the subframe thats not weiged down I remove the non threaded hook side, pass the bolt through the shock hole in the subframe, hex side up so you can get to it ,yes it fits.
Then I push the spring up and then start the threaded hook up into the bottom of the spring, make sure you have a coil passed the hook or you will not be able to remove it after you jack the lower arm up.Also be sure the threaded hook end will pass through the lower control arm shock hole. You can make mods to allow it to pass through.
Using a floor jack under the lower control arm raise jack to take up some slack. Use a 3ft section of chain and pass it throught the control arm and a couple coils of the spring just in case it lets go on you. I've had one let loose and its not fun.
Once you have some slack taken up turn the hex on the bolt, it should screw into the threaded hook and compress the spring. Place the spindle on the lower ball joint and start the nut and finger tighted for now. Keep tightening the hex on the compressor till you can start the nut on the spindle for the upper control arm.
I hope this make sense to you ,if not let me know.

PSV
02-18-2005, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the info! I'll stop by the napa store and get one. I looked up the part on the kd tools website and it is the same as the picture posted. I hope to have the frame together soon. Thanks again for the quick responses.
Paul