PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question of the day......Air shock pressures

John McIntire
08-09-2008, 01:45 PM
I never had a car with air shocks, and my Camaro is equipped with them. They're a bit low and have about 6psi in them. I bumped them up to 20psi, but don't really know how much they will handle. I'm not looking for that "jacked up in the rear" type look, just a nice level, smooth ride, that won't bottom out on some bumps!
Thanks in advance!

Larry Callahan
08-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Not a dumb question. You might start reading about post #7

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46213

zbugger
08-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Are these air shocks? Or are they Air Ride style shockwaves? If they're the latter, that link will help. If they're the nasty old air shocks that don't do anything but kill ride the more air you put in them, you might as well invest in new springs and gas style shocks.

John McIntire
08-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I'm sorry, I should have made that clear in my first post. I'm talking about the cheapo air shocks. I have a 67 Camaro that came with them. I was just worried about how much pressure they would hold, I didnt want to blow them out. This is just temporary for now. I have to finish other projects before I can dive into this one.

NOT A TA
08-09-2008, 07:44 PM
You Should be able to add air till you're at a reasonable ride height without any problems. The shocks rarely give out, it's usually a poor installation of the hoses that is a problem. Hose kits are cheap at you're local parts store.

Since the mid 70's I've had several cars with them (Mustangs,1st gens,2nd gens etc.) and they have a time and place when they're usefull. Ya I even had them on the 14 car for about 10,000 miles till I could afford the suspension I wanted.

Lowend
08-09-2008, 09:42 PM
How to properly adjust old-school air-shocks.

1) Spray all threaded connectors with penetrating oil and let soak for a few minutes

2) Remove the air-shocks from the chassis.

3) Place air-shocks behind the rear wheels of the car, parallel to the rear axel.

4) Start engine and back over the airshocks... proceed to install airshocks in the trash.

5) Install gas shocks

6) If the rearend sits lower than you would like install new leafsprings

:D

Jim Nilsen
08-10-2008, 02:23 AM

1) Spray all threaded connectors with penetrating oil and let soak for a few minutes

3) Place air-shocks behind the rear wheels of the car, parallel to the rear axel.

4) Start engine and back over the airshocks... proceed to install airshocks in the trash.

5) Install gas shocks

Skip steps 3 and 4 unless you need to replace the tires too, otherwise proceed as listed and have fun. Don't forget to recycle in the right bin.

vintageracer
08-10-2008, 07:46 AM

5) Install gas shocks

7) Skip step 6 and install 7 inch rear shackles if equipped with leaf springs instead of new rear leafsprings to regain correct ride height.
Much cheaper. Accomplish same goal. Looks COOL!!!

vintageracer
08-10-2008, 07:49 AM
The answer to your original question is that most all air shocks require a minimum of 25 PSI of air pressure to operate properly. This allows the shock to properly expand so that the shock absorber hydraulics will function properly and dampen suspension movement as designed. It's kinda like a minimum ride height required with an air ride suspension when driving the car.

Most air shocks have a maximum operating pressure of 125-150 PSI of air pressure in the shocks when the rear of the vehicle is loaded.

John McIntire
08-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks Mike! And I appreciate the other answers too! Believe me, when its in the budget I will be definitely rebuilding the entire suspension and doing it the right way. Right now I'm just working with what I got.

shmoov69
08-10-2008, 07:20 PM
In my wagon I have to pump them up to about 125psi when it is loaded down (like on the Power Tour). When the car is empty, I have them at about 40 or so psi. Yes they are junky, but they definately work! LOL!