PDA

View Full Version : Trans Am Racing

Scatpack
08-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Where would a guy look to get info on how to go about researching the old Trans Am cars and find out how they built them? I'd love to build one of those one day and get a head start on some of the things that need to be considered and all that jazz. Anyone know of a site or a book that could outline some of the build processes and equipment used and where to start looking for it? Those cars are just so darn cool. Thanks

paulk68
08-07-2008, 04:33 AM
check out google there seems to be some books on there. i am not sure if they go throught the build process but they look like some pretty good books.

ho428
08-07-2008, 04:37 AM
Attend an HSR or SVRA race, you'll see some first hand and up close. I looked this Penske car over real good at Road Atlanta. There's a few magazine articles out recently but I can't remember which mags.
I'm building one for vintage racing, not period correct but you'll use newer componets and have to conform to current rules anyway.

Lot of good info at Pozzi's web site for suspensions.

JEFFTATE
08-07-2008, 04:43 AM
I got the Trans Am Bug Too !!

Get the book " Unfair Advantage " by Mark Donohue.
He outlines most of the improvements that were made to the cars that the Penske team ran during the Trans-Am Series . The book doesn't give engineering info , but you still get the idea.

Also , check www.pozziracing.com.
David Pozzi is a member here and his site has some good info.
There are some links to vintage Trans Am stuff on his site.

The best thing to do is to go out to some events and look some of these old cars over.
There are some vintage Trans Am events occasionally.
( Although they never seem to be anywhere close to me )

Look around on this site too.
Several people have track cars that are similar to Trans Am cars.

Are you wanting to build a "Legal " Vintage Trans Am race car or just a car that's similar ??

JamesJ
08-07-2008, 11:21 PM
http://www.trans-amseries.com/

NOT A TA
08-08-2008, 08:48 PM
NASAProRacing.com has events all around the country where you can check out cars for ideas. There's usually several older "Trans Am" style cars running. You can walk the pits and talk to folks.

They haven't charged anyone who came as spectators to watch me run. You could sign up (ahead of time) for HPDE 1 and get some driving instruction and track time in your regular car just to see what it's like to drive on track. Heck I even used a rental car once for HPDE 1!

JV69z/28
08-09-2008, 06:06 PM
This is 95% C3 Corvettes from the www.corvetteforum.com but if nothing else it's entertaining http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1840841

Tom Welch
08-09-2008, 06:50 PM
All of those Trans Am series cars are the definition of 'cool car'.

buickfunnycar.com
08-11-2008, 11:18 AM
www.historictransam.com

ho428
08-11-2008, 12:14 PM
I spent this past weekend in an NASA event at Road Atlanta, sorry to say not many vintage cars there at all. Mainly sports cars, Vette's and tube chassis race cars.
As far as the HPDE event that I was in, it was mainly street cars, but I have to start there to work into getting a competition license.

It was a blast though, I got 2 hours on track over 2 days, 3 sessions per day. Plus my instructor happens to race a Vette, he took me out in it to show me what can be done given the right car and experience. WOW! 160+ down into a 40 mph left right combo.

If you want to see 60's cars, I'd try HSR or SVRA unless you get lucky enough to have the real vintage cars come close, but they mainly do specialty events only anymore.

David Pozzi
08-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Here's a cool video of TA racing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVCvHJnxJ20&eurl=138916

70bird
08-13-2008, 07:20 AM
That last video was great. Thanks!