PDA

View Full Version : Wheels that take the biggest brakes

jp455
02-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi all,

I've been thinking of wether to keep my 17s or go to 18s. The only thing that is keeping me is brake size. I currently have torque thrusts, does anyone know for a fact what are the largest brakes that fit? Also, is there a 17 wheel that fits larger brakes than the torque thrusts? I was hoping to use the Pro Baer calipers, I'm sure that makes a difference as far as how big a rotor I can use....

Thanks,
manuel scettri

USAZR1
02-17-2005, 06:55 AM
I've run 13" rotors with 17" TT II wheels on my former 68 El Camino. I've also sold Baer's Pro kits with 13.5" rotors and four piston Alcon calipers to ZR-1 owners with stock wheels.
However,some 17" wheels will not clear Baer's GT kit with 12.9" rotors and C5 calipers. The latter calipers are pretty large.
Obviously,18" wheels are a whole new ballgame.

Salt Racer
02-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Two things to consider - radial clearance and caliper overhang clearance (caliper to backside of spokes).

I don't think there's much difference in radial clearance between floater calipers and fixed calipers. Fixed calipers with multiple bridge bolts may take up more space depending on design.

Most of so-called Fat lip rims don't offer much better (if there's any) radial clearance than standard rims of identical diameter. Rim hoops are reversed inside out, so the step where the center normally gets welded to is present on the inner side. One size bigger center also means more deflection (longer spokes) and weight. Fat lip rims are another one of aesthetically-driven form-over-function products. I don't like them personally.

Caliper overhang clearance is often overlooked, probably b/c majority of people stick with floater calipers.

TTII's curved spokes have very little clearance for fixed calipers. Try fitting TTII on the ZR-1 Clint mentioned. There's no way TTIIs will clear Alcons unless rotors are offset inboard by at least 2.25", which may or may not cause rotor to LCA interference. ZR-1 front rims have roughly 1.125" overhang clearance at 7" radius, which is pretty good.

'00-'04 C5 5-spoke rims and Z06 rims have even more clearance. Street rod billet wheels I have on my car have pathetic 0.875" clearance, forcing me to run 1/4" spacers to clear my SL calipers on C4 rotors.

Many high-dollar 3-pc wheels have 1+" overhang clearance. SSR rims have plenty of room also.

Steve Chryssos
02-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Baer's website offers templates that can help you check clearances when wheel shopping. I was able to use the templates to shop for SCCA legal 16" wheels that clear big brakes. So a little research will go a long way.