PDA

View Full Version : Oddball replacement steel

Damn True
08-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Ok, so the ONLY place my '68 Camaro has any rust is the lower right side of the rear window frame. Not even the bit between the trunk and window, just the frame.

Does anyone produce that bit of sheetmetal? All I can find is the panel between window and trunk that would give me the lower flange. I need the vertical bit on the right side.

Goodmark will be happy to sell it to me as part of a full replacement 1/4-panel. Er.....don't want to go that route.

B Schein
08-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Show use a picture. I dont understand your description.

Damn True
08-06-2008, 01:55 PM
The rust is in the area between the lines, only down in the window channel. It has not crept around onto the sail panel.

I'll try to take a picture of it tonight.

toxicz28
08-06-2008, 03:30 PM
If you're good with a brake, you could make it yourself.

Damn True
08-06-2008, 03:34 PM
It's looking like I may have to.

Unless someone is replacing a 1/4 and the sail panel is solid?

Taylor1969
08-06-2008, 04:49 PM
I made those for my car... just cut a piece of metal and broke it... cut the bad out and butt welded the new one into place

NOT A TA
08-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I had a few sections like that in my Malibu just made the pieces and bonded them in. 2 part panel adhesive is amazing stuff.

Damn True
08-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Here is the spot in question:

Again, right side of the car, lower right corner of the rear window. The vertical bit with the hole in it is the sail panel portion of the window frame, the horizontal, non-holey part is the panel twixt the window and decklid.

Taylor1969
08-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Take the window out and grind everything down so that you know what you are dealing with grind out from the channel a little bit as well to make sure that it didn't spread out at all. That almost looks like you can do small sections without a bend. I did almost the entire track on mine. The metal was practically seamless when I finished and needed very little filler.

If you want, send me a PM when you are ready and I can guide you along.

Damn True
08-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks. I'm about 95% sure that is the extent of it. I've climbed into the trunk with a flashlight and looked/felt around everywhere up in there and only found rust in that area.

I'm gathering that this is a "doable" repair, which is awesome. I'll need to work on my welding kung-fu a lot first though. I don't want to warp that sail panel. There's no damn way to work a hammer/dolly there to fix a foul-up.

beep4beep
08-07-2008, 03:15 PM
eastwood,inc used to sell a product like putty that you used to absorb heat near where you are welding I don't remember the name check on line with them for avalability. Randy

Taylor1969
08-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks. I'm about 95% sure that is the extent of it. I've climbed into the trunk with a flashlight and looked/felt around everywhere up in there and only found rust in that area.

I'm gathering that this is a "doable" repair, which is awesome. I'll need to work on my welding kung-fu a lot first though. I don't want to warp that sail panel. There's no damn way to work a hammer/dolly there to fix a foul-up.

just move around doing spots. There is no way that you are going to warp the metal there unless you are moving too fast or stitch welding

Damn True
08-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Really? I thought metal under greater stress was more prone to warping? Or do I have that backwards? Is it less stress is more prone? Damn, I've forgotten. Sorry Mr. Castle (H.S. shop teacher).

With the compound curves of the sail panel there is a ton of stress on that sheetmetal from the stamping.

Taylor1969
08-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Really? I thought metal under greater stress was more prone to warping? Or do I have that backwards? Is it less stress is more prone? Damn, I've forgotten. Sorry Mr. Castle (H.S. shop teacher).

With the compound curves of the sail panel there is a ton of stress on that sheetmetal from the stamping.

The amount of warp you see will be negligible... Nothing that a hammer, bag of sand and some bondo can't take care of.

MCC
08-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Just make a new one from 18 Ga steel , take your time and spot weld it up . Cool it as you go with air. This should not take you long to do.

-Mike Riggs
Mike's Custom Cars
1-803-329-2835

www.mikescustomcars.com (http://www.mikescustomcars.com)

Damn True
01-13-2014, 09:01 AM
Just bumping this one to see if anyone has a clean sail panel on a rear 1/4 they are replacing.

blainemeyer
01-13-2014, 08:36 PM
Check out this site, http://amp-my-ride.com/ , they may have what you are looking for if you don't want to fab it up yourself.

Damn True
01-13-2014, 09:07 PM
That's cool. Thanks for the tip.