PDA

View Full Version : PS Cooler idea

Lowend
08-02-2008, 10:39 AM
I just bought a aluminum radiator for the Camaro and it comes with a factory style Transmission cooler.
I'm running a M/T so I was planning on just plugging the ports... but just had an idea.

Is there any reason not to use the AT cooler on the return side of the PS circuit to cool the PS fluid? My car is 95% Auto-X where PS temps can get pretty out of control. I figure adding a couple quarts of Fluid to the system wouldn't hurt.

Thoughts?

Yelcamino
08-02-2008, 11:38 AM
I tried it on my 71 Blazer. The problem I ran into was the top inlet port on the rad's integral trans cooler was higher than the fill cap on the p/s pump. It seemed to be fine as long as the engine was running but overnight the p/s pump reservoir would become over full and leak out the cap. However, the height relationship between your components may be different than what I was working with.

On my 66 Chevelle I have a B&M trans cooler mounted in front of the rad and the p/s fluid is routed through it on its way back to the reservoir and this time it's mounted lower than the p/s pump cap.

SaturnVUEguy
08-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Even though I can't justify installing one in the VUE, as I don't race it, I think this is something I'd be interested in doing eventually.

jerome
08-02-2008, 04:31 PM
what is the operating range for ps fluid? Radiator will make not make it cooler than 180 or so, but I suspect that PS fluid runs somewhere around there.

This is something that I am considering, but looking at the bungs on the radiator, I see that the holes are probably smaller no bigger 1/4". Is this enough flow?

Also, do the power steering caps with 1/4 turn engagement with the built in dipstick have some provision where they allow air in, so they don't fully seal? Is that why fluid would leak out?

The other concern is people (CarlC and maybe others) have quoted Lee with saying to run a tube style and not the finned style, because the pulse of the pump will wear on the cooler, but has anyone seen problems with cracking or anything? I don't think this would be a problem, because it is on the return side of the box, smoothing out the pulses.

silver69camaro
08-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Fluid temperature is not a problem, in fact it would make temps more stable. As you probably know, fluid-fluid coolers are much more effective than air-fluid. Most 4th gens (at least with LS1's) used a small PS fluid cooler that ran in-line with the radiator hose.

My problem would be with flow. The power steering system must be unrestricted in any way, which is why most remote resevior systems run a -10AN between tank and pump. I'd just plug it; that's what I did.

silver69camaro
08-04-2008, 05:24 AM
Also, do the power steering caps with 1/4 turn engagement with the built in dipstick have some provision where they allow air in, so they don't fully seal? Is that why fluid would leak out?

Probably. Most systems are vented because the pumps are not self-priming and rely only on gravity to feed the pump with fluid. If the cap wasn't vented, fluid wouldn't flow.

Race systems tend to use non-vented caps because overheated fluid will boil-over and catch fire. I'm not completely sure how the priming issue is resolved, but I suspect the resevior tank is installed much higher than the pump.

CarlC
08-04-2008, 06:09 AM
It's been discussed here and on camaros.net in the past.

amx2334
08-04-2008, 06:26 AM
As you probably know, fluid-fluid coolers are much more effective than air-fluid.
Effective yes, efficient ?
Ultimately the radiator has to shed the heat. On the fluid to fluid cooler you are transferring the heat to the coolant then to the air at the radiator.This is usually after the coolant makes a pass through the engine where it has to pick up heat also. The delta t at the rad. is now increased.
On the other hand mounting a fin cooler ahead of the radiator heats the air before the radiator. I am working on the engine oil cooler circuit and going back and forth between the two styles.pros and cons either way.

silver69camaro
08-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Efficient, yes in regards to temp change vs. flow rate. The amount of heat the PS fluid will add to the coolant is minimal and should not be a problem if the cooling system is in working order.

As far as an oil cooler goes, in-radiator style coolers offer a big advantage of offering very stable oil temperatures and often negate the need for a thermostat. Even though the radiator is doing more "work", you'll often see coolant temps decrease due to cooler oil.

jerome
08-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Return from steering box runs to top of transmission cooler and then the bottom of cooler runs to the pump or does it not matter?

Yelcamino
08-16-2008, 03:00 AM
Return from steering box runs to top of transmission cooler and then the bottom of cooler runs to the pump or does it not matter?

I don't think it matters. I'd figure out how you want to route the lines then decide which line should go to which port.

Lowend
08-16-2008, 07:07 AM
I looked at my setup and decided no to fix what ain't broke and leave it alone.
If I was roadracing (or the ports were on the DS) I would do it for shure

jerome
08-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Well if the outlet was on the top, gravity wouldn't feed the pump when the car is turned off, so you would run less of a chance of the reservoir overflowing and the cap leaking.

There's probably a thermodynamic reason to do it one way or the other also...

Just don't know which way is better, mostly because I have no idea what the oil cooler looks like inside. Is it just a straight tube through the endtank or is it coils or a tank inside or what?