PDA

View Full Version : Loud Engine Clicking?

68camaro396
02-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Hey guys, a little help would be great.

I have a 68 Camaro with a 396 BBC. I just recently got a loud annoying clicking noise (similar to a lose rocker) but I already tightened them down per spec. and the noise is still there. I have a feeling it could be a bad lifter.

As far as I know, I have Hydraulic lifters, and I was told that if the lifter went bad and is not getting oil, then it can make a noise like this.

Please help.

Thanks

DanT69
02-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Did you check your plug gaps and are certain its not just a misfire? I had that happen to be before and had visions of bad lifters etc. in my head and it was a spark plug.

68camaro396
02-15-2005, 10:37 PM
No, I didn't try that, but I'll take a look this weekend...Thanks for the advice.

harshman
02-16-2005, 09:21 AM
I too have a 396 BBC. I just replaced the cam TWICE. First time I swapped cams because it was a solid lift cam. Once installed with new springs I got a severe ticking because I flattened two lobes. I would, if all else fails, pull the manifold so that you get a good view of the valley and inspect all lobes. Bump the motor over until you find the culprit.

TPI Monte SS
02-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Don't panic right away. Loose spark plugs and header gasket leaks make a similar ticking noise, and are easier to replace than the cam. :)

protour_chevelle
02-16-2005, 11:24 AM
I too have a 396 BBC. I just replaced the cam TWICE. First time I swapped cams because it was a solid lift cam. Once installed with new springs I got a severe ticking because I flattened two lobes. I would, if all else fails, pull the manifold so that you get a good view of the valley and inspect all lobes. Bump the motor over until you find the culprit.

You breaking your cams in?

-Matt

harshman
02-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Define "break" :banghead:

I bought the comp cam's complete kit including valve springs that have more pressure than my front coils!!! – Sort of. Anyway, I popped in the cam and instead of pulling the inner spring for break in, I sort of skipped that part and proceeded with the break in. The ticking began and a severe loss of power ensued. :slap: :rtfm:

Now things are great. I have a little bit of valve noise but it doesn't sound like a diesel. Had my carb massaged a bit and now it runs like a stripped ass ape! :drive1:

68camaro396
02-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Well, it sounds like I have a few things to check..I'll go with the easiest first and make the rounds...Thanks for all your help.

Harshman, what kind of power are you making with your motor? I have this far fetched (from what I have read) about making 500hp with my 396 naturally aspirated. I would love to keep the engine cause it is kinda rare, and special (at least to me) and get it to make some good numbers. I really want 500 to the wheels. (I know I'm crazy unless I spend big bucks) :seizure:

--Anthony

ProdigyCustoms
02-17-2005, 01:52 AM
A wrist pin noise starts out sounding like a loose lifter, and the sound travels through the same area. It is an easy check, loosen the plug wires on one bank so you can slip them on and off one at a time. If the noise goes away, you found your problem. A quick easy test to eliminate that possibility.

harshman
02-17-2005, 09:37 AM
Harshman, what kind of power are you making with your motor? I have this far fetched (from what I have read) about making 500hp with my 396 naturally aspirated. I would love to keep the engine cause it is kinda rare, and special (at least to me) and get it to make some good numbers. I really want 500 to the wheels. (I know I'm crazy unless I spend big bucks) :seizure:
--Anthony

I have yet to get a hp figure. I also have yet to get good traction on a ¼ mile run (6 speed and 4.11 aren’t tire friendly). The best I ran was 13.34 @ 105.91 adjusted with a 2.204 60’. However, I just acquired Nitto drag radials and so I am shooting for a high 12 second pass soon. With the math I’m guessing around 400-440 hp (3,650 lb car including driver).

68camaro396
02-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Harshman, so do you think it is very far fetched to get 500hp NA out of a 396? I have also been considering an LS1/LS2 or even an LS7 (very expensive I'm sure when they come out) But like I said, I would love to keep my BB, and even fuel inject it for drivability and tunability.

What do you think?
What does anybody think?

harshman
02-18-2005, 09:52 AM
500 hp can be reached just like any motor can with the right amount of money. I think the best advice is for you to determine what your goal is. Do you want the car to perform well in a straight line or curved. The added weight when using a big block with iron heads on the nose is quite a bit and the cost of aluminum heads are substantial and so a small block would fit better. However, if the straight line is what you crave, you can’t beat the bbc. Cubes are where it’s at. I think Popular Hotrodding just built a 475 bbc for under $2k and made almost 500 hp.

I’m not an engine builder but I know that if you up the compression ratio and port the heads a bit and you will attain 500 hp. As always, spend the most amount of time (and money) on the heads to achieve the greatest results.

As far as fuel injection goes, I’m a die hard carb fan. The simplicity and the performance that can be reached with a carb are massive if you know the right people. I just sent my carb to Mark Clark in Mesa, AZ and he massaged it quite a bit. Now I’m happier than a pig in sheot!!