PDA

View Full Version : A swap using the new CTS-V chassis and drivetrain.

compos mentis
07-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Looking for opinions on this idea...

Seeing the 2009 CTS-V set the sedan lap record at Nurburgring, it looks like it will be a great car of course. Personally I’d prefer a PT’d ’55 Chevy at this point, with a fully sorted C6 level IFS/IRS chassis in it. Problem is, there isn’t an aftermarket chassis out there yet with a proven C6 based design for a Tri-Five; at least to the best of my knowledge.

But, with the new CTS-V coming out, it got me to thinking. Why not eliminate a lot of the guesswork that goes with building a from scratch car, and just buy a CTS-V that’s been in a wreck (with no frame and powertrain damage of course). Then, adapt a ’55 Chevy body to it.

Plan here is to put a lot of miles on it. A bonus would be the ability to get parts and service at a lot of dealerships across the country if a breakdown occurred away from home.

‘A 2 dr. post ‘55 Chevy wheelbase is 115” and length 195”. I’m not sure yet, but I don’t think the front track and width are a lot different from the CTS-V, which has a wheelbase of 113.4” and is 191” long.

Young Gun
07-27-2008, 01:53 PM
heres your chassis

http://www.artmorrison.com/2006cat/04.pdf

compos mentis
07-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks YG,

But like I wrote, I'm looking for opinions on the of rebodying of a wrecked CTS-V with a '55 Chevy idea.

Plus, AME does not make a C6 based tri-five chassis with no immediate plans to per Craig M.

69Nova
07-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Why are you so set on the CTS-V chassis? The AME piece takes alot of guess work(and money) out of the equation. And I'm sure it would work just as good as you think the CTS-V would.

Young Gun
07-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks YG,

But like I wrote, I'm looking for opinions on the of rebodying of a wrecked CTS-V with a '55 Chevy idea.

Plus, AME does not make a C6 based tri-five chassis with no immediate plans to per Craig M.

haha my bad, I just saw 55 and frame and instantly thought of the AME frame, good luck with it!

Bill Howell
07-27-2008, 05:56 PM
I am with Andrew on this one. If you have seen the Morrison 55 you know there is not much need for improvements. C-6 or no C-6. They have tri5 chassis down to a science and you don't have to work anything out.

compos mentis
07-27-2008, 08:19 PM
I am with Andrew on this one. If you have seen the Morrison 55 you know there is not much need for improvements. C-6 or no C-6. They have tri5 chassis down to a science and you don't have to work anything out.

Well, GM spent a ton of money developing all these systems to work perfectly together so to me it would seem to simplify so much of the build just keeping engine, tranny and chassis together. Plus I was going to swap a CTS dash in anyways which this idea would make way easier.

I guess I'd compare it to all the guys that swap in an IRS underneath their solid axle 53-62 Vette. The AME is of course a good setup, but I prefer C6 or CTS-V stuff. However, I just learned through another forum member that the CTS-V track probably is too wide compared to the '55 Chevy, so I'd have to go the C6 route, which is fine.