PDA

View Full Version : Mounting 60Gal Compressor

Gandalf
07-27-2008, 10:27 AM
I recently found a deal on a slightly used CH 60Gal upright compressor for $200. Can I mount this thing direct to the concrete floor of my garage or should I have something in-between the 3 feet and the concrete? Thanks for your help.

G.

GetMore
07-27-2008, 04:09 PM
I think you can mount it solidly to the floor without any problems.
Actually, I think you can just set it on the floor without doing anything at all.
Look into how you are going to drain the water out of it. You might want it to sit a little higher for extra clearance.

amx2334
07-27-2008, 04:30 PM
http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/vibration-isolator-pads-p-3700.html

I put an elbow and some pipe with a ball valve on the drain so it sticks out from under the tank. This way it's easy to open and close the drain valve.

parsonsj
07-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Ditto on the elbow and ball valve. Definitely do that.

Me, I attached my big compressor to some 2x4 pressure-treat, and attached the PT to the floor. Makes draining easier, and may keep the feet from rusting.

jp

toxicz28
07-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Elbow, ball valve, and a length of hose so I could aim the water coming out at 150 psi. Used 1 1/2" thick rubber blocks that I found on a job under the feet. Drilled and epoxied threaded rod for anchors.

slowcamaro
07-27-2008, 06:37 PM
I think ive read of hockey pucks being used as rubber isolators

Gandalf
08-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys. Wasn't thinking about the drain access so I think I'll start with the 2x4 suggestion which should buy me some extra clearance. I forgot to mention, this is in my home garage downstairs so I'm real interested in isolating as much vibration as possible as well as making it safe and stable. Looking forward to having this in place and running. Thanks to all.

G.

MarkM66
08-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Mine came with 2x4's mounted to the feet. Took it out of the truck, sat in on the floor, use it, and it's been there for a few years now, doesn't move.

It's a 60G too.

67camaro972
08-10-2008, 09:38 PM
If you mount it straight to the concrete if its a real big compressor its going to vibrate the whole foundation, frame of the house, expecially if its a older house. Newer house lil less annoying. Get 4 Transformer Pads, What electricians use to mount huge transformers on to keep them from buzzing, humming and less noisy. Thier about 4 inches by 4 inches 3/4 to 1 inch tall. id bolt it to the slab as well. all youll hear is the compressor motor kicking. Just my .02

Gandalf
08-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks Guys....some great ideas. I had the compressor wired last weekend and am already happy with how little noise it makes in comparrison to the little screem-your-head-off 30Gal I bought last year! That's on top of all that extra air :)

Thanks all.
G.

David Pozzi
08-14-2008, 09:04 PM
I have a 10 hp horozintal tank compressor, the instructions cautioned to NOT bolt it directly to the floor or the tank could eventually crack. I used 1/2" rubber pads underneath it, and didn't torque the nuts down very tight.
David