PDA

View Full Version : "64 Ford Mklll Zephyr

KiwiKarl
07-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Hello from New Zealand, Its Winter down here so I'm not in the garage right now! I have a UK designed Mklll Ford Zephyr. This type of Zephyr went from the 1950's to the 1970's. The factory fitted inline 6 was installed in pre V8 Cobras too. The Mkl Zephyr was the first factory car to have macpherson strut suspension fitted too.
My version was designed with US input back in 1962. I have reworked the 156ci inline 6's but this car has a early windsor 302 and 4 speed installed, they fit easy. I have used ideas from the Zephyrs raced in production racing during the 1960's in NZ,OZ and the UK. The V8 running gear is lighter than the factory 6! The factory rear has floating axles and a choice of 2 or 4 spider centres plus a huge ratio choice.
I built from scratch most of the handling add ons like subframes, engine bay and steering box braces plus the panhard bar and rear sway bar set up. The front end is now fully adjustable and Koni's replace the lever action rear dampers. The car was dropped 3" and runs NZ made 5 spokes mags.
I am onto its 2nd build now after deciding to refresh the heads. Things have sort of got out of hand with bringing the car closer to track use now. Twin fuel and ignition systems are ready plus fuel cell and a basic rewire. Inside I'm installing Momo fixed back seats plus upfront theres ducting for the front disc's and a cowl induction air cleaner set up to fab. I love the Trans am and early Nascar look. Here in New Zealand the car scene if filling up with US pony cars so people are looking for something a bit different. Hows things Stateside?
I run a worldwide Ford Zephyr site and have tech collected there on others cars too. I like all cars, new and old, always something to learn by looking at some other car! I also love tech!
Heres my car, further articles on it can be found there too on its new build up,
http://www.galeforcezephyrs.com/linked/karls%20mk3%20part%201.htm

Cheers
KiwiKarl

Paul_J
07-27-2008, 09:41 AM
An interesting project. I like the more unusual cars as well. I went to your site and surfed around trying to find a picture of your car. Is it the Red 64? Anyway, I like what your building so update often.

By the way New Zealand is a great place!

KiwiKarl
07-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi Paul, good to talk to you. The link in my first message is my own car, it will also be under "Karl Schluters V8 Mklll Zephyr Part 1-4.
Hers a direct link:
http://www.galeforcezephyrs.com/linked/karls%20mk3%20part%201.htm
The idea was to freshen the heads but I sort of got carried away. I like using tricks from years gone by, one of which is the use of early 351w heads on a 289-302. So I have sectioned a spare head to use as a porting guide plus have some indept tech on doing the port work which is half done to date. Going to alloy heads is too easy!
The ignition is going to be two Mallory Hyfire boxes through an msd coil switcher (two Mallory coils) to a recurved Duraspark Dizzy.
The fuel system will be uprated to two Holley blue and BG220 fuel pumps with a bypass system back to the fuel cell.
Here is an interesting ignition article I wrote that has some tips the companies don't tell you until you blow or burn out an ignition box:
http://www.galeforcezephyrs.com/linked/ignition%20upgrades%20part%205.htm

I don't know if 4 door cars will ever catch on in the US like the way they are accepted in NZ and Oz? We really didn't have the coupes to pick from (in volume anyway) but 4 door cars have always been used in production racing so we see them a bit more as "in". I have seen US Hot Rod ask when 4 doors will come in, Station wagons are getting more magazine coverage I see from time to time.
Its amazing how the interest in different cars can attract people as a show compared to some of the more common stuff.
I like them all, something to be picked up looking at any car .
Cheers,
Karl.