PDA

View Full Version : QA1 Rear Shocks - Do You Need Boot Cover?

bigboi
07-23-2008, 08:31 PM
I bought a set of QA1 adjustable shocks for the rear of my 67 Camaro. Since the shaft is exposed... Do I need a boot cover or is it OK to run them without a boot cover?

bbcc
07-23-2008, 09:17 PM
I phoned qa1 on this about a two weeks ago. The tech guy said the bare shaft should be cool, even with road salt and freezing temps. I'm in Canada, so my main concern was our rediculous winters. The one thing he recomended was for daily driver use the seals should be changed every year. The shaft is apparently nitrided, so it will take some crazy abrasion from sand and road grime to pit the surface. The only down side, you have to send the shocks to an authorized repair center, since they do not have any listings for parts sold seperatly.

bigboi
07-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the information man. The bare shafts look pretty bad ass too! I am glad it's ok to run them bare.

I usually drive in nice weather only anyway. Thanks again!

I phoned qa1 on this about a two weeks ago. The tech guy said the bare shaft should be cool, even with road salt and freezing temps. I'm in Canada, so my main concern was our rediculous winters. The one thing he recomended was for daily driver use the seals should be changed every year. The shaft is apparently nitrided, so it will take some crazy abrasion from sand and road grime to pit the surface. The only down side, you have to send the shocks to an authorized repair center, since they do not have any listings for parts sold seperatly.

greencactus3
07-25-2008, 08:17 AM
hmm.. where is a good place to get boots tho?
im gonna be running my QA1s year round in michigan.... hopefully they will last... but if i find boots before winter that should help right?

David Pozzi
07-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Plenty of shock boots around: http://www.4wheelonline.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=21874&ProductId=68610

bigboi
07-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Plenty of shock boots around: http://www.4wheelonline.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=21874&ProductId=68610

Some pink or fushia ones would look great! lol... :rotfl: