PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for cleaning exterior engine/tranny?

Rybar
02-15-2005, 10:56 AM
I just picked up my LS1 & T56 last week, and have been trying a few things to clean them up so they look a little more showy.

How do you clean the metal and aluminum so it's got a clean "new" look to it without removing the part and getting hot-tanked or whatever?

Can you use stuff like gunk, or spray nine with a brush? I've been trying but it hasn't worked very well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Happyfunballs
02-15-2005, 11:16 AM
I'll just add that I sprayed down my T-56 tranny down with steam jenny(sp??) and degreaser. Took me 30 minutes. It's mostly off, but the grime has "stained" the alum. I'm gonna bead blast it and clear it.

SShep71
02-15-2005, 11:18 AM
I hate having to clean stuff like that, its such a pain in the ass! Anyway, try an engine cleaner like brite orange or Brake cleaner (its pricey but gets the job done). If all else fails get a large pan some chem gloves, a face shield, and scrape off what ever you can. Then get your self a bunch of rags, brushes, and break out the gasoline!!! I know its crude and old school but man does strait gas work good. With some care and a good respirator you can do alot and still stay off the EPA's hit list.

-Shep

Andrew McBride
02-15-2005, 11:42 AM
they make a stuff called alumi-brite, for aluminum. works good, use only cold water.-most auto parts cary it.
I use reg. carb cleaner to clean and "simple green" degreaser-both can be picked up at walmart.

Ralph LoGrasso
02-15-2005, 01:20 PM
I second Andrew's recommendation for "Simple Green". That stuff works great, plus it's supposedly all natural, (hence the name) and it won't stain stuff. I've used it in the past for cleaning various objects. It works great on my truck's wheels.

Neil B
02-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Here's another vote for Simple Green. That stuff is great. I would not recommend using Gunk on aluminum.

C4Bird
02-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Another vote for simple green! Berryman B-12 chem tool works well too, but you'll need the drip pan and PPE.
-Nate

442olds
02-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Sam's wholesale purple degreaser straight from the bottle and a powerwasher