PDA

View Full Version : what went wrong?

viper11
07-19-2008, 08:08 AM
hi
I just got my charger running again with its new forged 440 twin turbo, (have a couple header gasket leaks to sort)
I have the ms1 v3 extra 29y4, I was tuning the car in my driveway in park with no load using autotune at different rpms to get my ballparks again (it was running last year and my msq is pretty close ) brought it upto about 4000rpm and the autotune was doing a good job of smoothing everything out and all of a sudden it started misfiring on one cylinder (completely dead) as i reduced the rpm it slowly caused it to stall
I tried to restart it to see if it would clear up but it wouldn't quite start, after cranking and cranking there was a huge backfire that was extremely loud :)
I let the car sit for a few minutes and tried again but I could barely get it started and keep it running. its misfiring, popping and clattering. I had a hell off a time getting it up the driveway into my shop, it sounds awful, not to metallic, but not all exhaust leak either.
it takes 20-30 seconds of turning over the get it to start and i can only keep it running for 2-3 seconds, all the header pipes feel warm indicating fuel and spark

where should I look for answers? it went from 1 dead cylinder to not running at all, what could cause this???
I will do a compression test first then pull the valve covers witch takes 3 hrs cause of all the piping
thanks for anyones input (I know this might not be the ms but someone may have an idea)
I will be testing the ms with my stim too
jason

Ollie8974
07-19-2008, 09:37 AM
I think you should post this on the MS board too.
There would be a lot more experience over there.

gordonquixote
07-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Is your distributor tightened down? It may have slipped when you revved it up.

viper11
07-19-2008, 10:24 AM
lol I have a post on turbo-forums.com ms.com lateral-g.net and here
I'm going to check to timing this morn
jason

viper11
07-20-2008, 09:09 AM
hi
since this I have narrowed my problem down, with the distributor removed and fuel pump fuse out I can hear the injectors clicking in time with the vr signal so my distributor vr signal is good
the problem is my spark is very intermittent, 1 out of every 3-4 injector pulses sometimes 7-8, I swapped coils and no difference so its either the ms or the msd6a or between the two.(remember it was running fine last year and earlier this week.
on the stim the ms performs flawlesly with the led's flashing and megatune confirms smooth operation
so how can i check the output signal from the ms to the msd??
how can I check the msd output??
jason

Fuelie Nova
07-20-2008, 03:31 PM
If you go to msd's website they have a simple procedure for testing the 6AL. http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6%20series/6series.pdf

Scroll down to the bottom of the installation sheet and look at "Checking for spark"

I had a similar problem after i installed my XFI, it was the msd box.
Tg

viper11
07-21-2008, 09:24 PM
ok the tests and results so far
the msd performs flawlessly when the white wire is grounded(or ungrounded) even when i flick it as fast as possible,it has a nice fat spark at the spare plug.
the coil is good,(verified with a second coil).
the injectors click in time with me spinning my spare distributor, by hand plugged in with the fuel pump fuse out,(indicating the ms is receiving the vr signal) but the spark is very random and weak.
the ign on the stimulator works and flashes perfectly in sync with the rpm,
dwell is set to 50% fixed,
both pots are fully anti-clockwise.and tried2 and 4 turns clockwise
tsel to vroutinv.
sheilded vr wires. all wiring checked and was working fine
all grounds to engine block including msd.
was running and suddenly started by losing 1 cylinder spark.
is there anything I am missing?? if my vb921 was faulty would the stim work??
jason