PDA

View Full Version : Tail light lens material

k7king
07-17-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm wanting to make my own tail lights and I'm looking for red plastic with optics molded in. Where can I buy such material?
Thanks
Mike King

k7king
07-18-2008, 02:50 AM
wow. I can't believe nobody knows or will share where to get this material.

derekf
07-18-2008, 02:56 AM
I reckon the sticking points is your requirement that the optics be molded in.

I assume you read through this thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21182

The suggestions there were all for red sheet plexiglass; even there nobody threw out anything with the proper backside texture. I'm not even sure that there's just a generic texture to use, or if they tailor each taillight's texture to how it needs to focus/spread the light -- the insides of my El Camino's tails are nothing like the insides of my Chevelle's.

k7king
07-18-2008, 03:36 AM
I bought this stuff 10 years ago. It is red 1/4 inch thick. I'm just looking for a source again.
Thanks
Mike King

JayR
07-18-2008, 09:34 AM
DOT keeps a tight lid on such products for just that reason. With the advances in LED tech, you can make a lens with smooth red acrylic though.

Brandon Miller
07-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Most taillights are molded to a specific design so finding a source for this material may be difficult.

69LT1Nova
07-18-2008, 10:17 AM
When I busted out the taillight on my '96 Caprice and was in a cash crunch, I went down to the auto parts store. They sold clear lens material, then had a printed overlay that you could put on there to simulate the optics.

Yeah, I know, not what you were looking for. Maybe you'd be better off finding a big @ss truck or van that has big taillights and rob them?

96Z28SS
07-18-2008, 10:33 AM
here is what you do.

Get clear red plexi or poly carbonate.
then go to Home depot and got the lighting section and get a sheet of the fluorescent light cover for drop ceilings.
glue them together and you have a taillight.

MrQuick
11-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Hi guys! I just hope you're still active i just need a little help in here. I just have a large scratch on my tail light lens and i am thinking if i can buy that kind of parts separately than purchasing the whole one? Is that allowed? Or i need to buy it as a whole? I hope to here from you.

what kinda car?

Bryce
11-20-2010, 06:34 AM
I made my own taillights out of translucent red plexi-glass. No refracting optics on the back side. It glows read and is brighter than my stock lights. This was for a 65 falcon. Check out my build thread for pictures.

srh3trinity
11-20-2010, 06:57 AM
On Musclecar on the power block, they used the prismatic plastic that you see in fluorescent lights in office buildings. It is thin, so they used a piece of plexi over the top of it. They sprayed it with a red candy. I think that would work well with a bright LED behind it. I am wanting to do this in my project, so I bought a cheap piece of that plastic at Home Depot for about 8 bucks or so.

Jim Nilsen
11-21-2010, 08:30 AM
If they aren't DOT approved your in trouble , which is why people use or modify other lens's to do custom work.

No-one wants the liability for you losing your car because you got it confiscated because of improper equipment. It's a whole different world we live in these days and you can lose your car very easily in the wrong place and time.

People in our area have had their cars confiscated just for the sound being too loud and there is no sound level check , it is just up to the officer and the complaintant. Lights are a visual aspect of your car and obvious when you change it. They can do so many things to you in so many little communities that some things aren't worth the chance.

Goodluck

Jim85IROC
11-22-2010, 12:37 PM
technically, modifying a different set of DOT headlights is just as illegal as making your own at home. DOT approves lights for use on that particular vehicle only, not for use anywhere. It's the same as headlights. Stick a set of AUDI DOT headlights on your Chevy, and as far as the law is concerned, it's no different than sticking some chinese Ebay lights on there.

Now, whether the cop who pulls you over or not is this strict (or even aware of the law) is another matter entirely.

Jim Nilsen
11-22-2010, 03:48 PM
I 2nd the question of what kind of car?

I just noticed it is an old thread brought back to life and I missed the OP in the process.

factory original lens's are always available somewhere.

Terry9460
12-18-2011, 05:22 PM
There are thousands of Hot Rods and Motorcycles out there with custom tail lights. Go to Hagan Street Rods at haganauto.com, they manufacture custom lights/parts and sell DOT approved lense material....1/4" or 1/8". Or do a serch for Hitech LED Products, Inc. they also manufacture and sell parts. They both have flat or prismatic......use the 1/4" prismatic and you will be safe.

TheJDMan
12-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Disregard

nekkidhillbilly
12-19-2011, 10:14 AM
you can mold them with resin and all too

Bigblue73
12-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Look at the Vectra series from Hoest Celenase. Or polycarbonate in red for the tail lights at your local plastics house or hobby store.

jamesinark
05-13-2012, 06:43 PM
I know that this is an old thread,but I am interested in doing a flush fit set of tailights and reworking the rear panel on my 71 RS Camaro.I will likely use LED's and will have them in the stock location,I just will be doing a few body mods to slightly clean up and modernize the lines of the car.I already have a 2002 pontiac interior to install(I know ,who puts a pontiac interior in a chevy)but the pontiac dash vents are round and seem to fit with the shape of the car better.I am trying to make everything fit the overall look of the rounder more curved 2nd gen camaro just with flush fit windows,tailights,and upgraded headlight technology.Where might I find the material for the rear lights and any ideas on how to fit them to the factory inner mountings?

myblue71
04-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Here is a sight that has the stuff to make taillight etc. www.alumilite.com Look up mold car parts.