PDA

View Full Version : S-10 V8 swap w/serpentine and electric fans-very tight!

gmachinz
07-17-2008, 06:09 AM
So here is my serpentine swap on a V8 S-10. Thought I'd share a few pics to show how it fits and although it is very tight, it works extremely efficient! I'm in the process of designing a custom 1-piece radiator to support bracket for the customer as well as a custom insulation kit for the fuel lines underhood and a custom carb heat shield. The cooling system pulls so much heat out of the system that the fuel has periods of vaporization under the hood while driving for extended periods of time. This is somewhat of a budget build but I re-vamped the AC system to R134 and it blows very cold while idling for over an hour @ 190 degrees and keeping a steady 180-184 cruising temperature. The reverse flow water pump and water by-pass is what really keeps the motor cool under all conditions. Definitely a fun truck! -Jabin

jerome
07-18-2008, 03:31 PM
I have the same serpentine unit. I ordered a radiator from superior radiator in Michigan. It is direct fit, but goes in the inset of the core support w/ neck sticking out. He sells it under the ebay name, "dissrad". It will give you some ideas.

Project looks very clean and OEM...what is the air cleaner lid from?

Also, I think you have a reverse rotation, standard flow pump right? not reverse flow unless it is an LT1...

gmachinz
07-19-2008, 06:09 AM
Correct-reverse rotation, not reverse flow, the radiator is a 1.25" single row tube for a 1990 4.3 S-10. There was no radiator made for this that would allow the drop-in use of the Spal dual fans without slight notching of the support and minor shaving of the plastic ribs on the side of the radiator tanks. This truck started life out as a 4 cyl. 5-speed with manual disc brakes. It now has an 11:1 355, TH350 and a stock 3.08 posi rear, which is a great gear for such a light truck. I had to relocate the overflow tank and vacuum ball and the air cleaner assembly and ducting is all taken from a late 80's 4.3 S-10. The AC hoses are also from a 4.3 S-10 truck. Ahhh.....GM's cost cutting has yet again made it easy to perform a factory style swap using all GM stuff! I'm building a carb heat shield for it and swapping to a different carb/fuel pump. The customer wants a 150-shot NOS plate system but then we'll be getting into hood clearance issues so a small cowl induction hood may be inorder but I like the factory hood for the low key approach. -Jabin

jerome
07-20-2008, 08:38 AM
There was no radiator made for this that would allow the drop-in use of the Spal dual fans without slight notching of the support and minor shaving of the plastic ribs on the side of the radiator tanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S10-S15-V-8-CONVERSION-ALUMINUM-2-ROW-RADIATOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el 1116QQitemZ150271104740

This radiator should drop in, unless you have an early rad support with the two fins in the inset. just for your future reference