PDA

View Full Version : Novice question about horsepower?

vee521
02-14-2005, 08:46 PM
I need help, i have a very nice 69 camaro with a 327/210. headers,air gap intake,deamon carb,stock heads,hookers,2004R trans,10 bolt 308, cam not stock but i dont know what the specs are. my question is what motor combo or how much hp, do i need to make the car run like my gen 1 viper. just a fun weekend play toy, that sounds,runs, and looks good. what would be overkill for good street manners. thank you for any advice. :hmm:

Matt
02-14-2005, 09:03 PM
About 350-400 at the wheels. Either a supercharger or a 100 shot of giggle gas should be good.

If that's the original motor I would go with the above. If not think about an ls1 swap with a heads/cam package and you'll be doing well.

boodlefoof
02-16-2005, 08:32 AM
those stock heads are probably holding you back a bunch. Tiny little valves and runners and big chambers which exacerbate the problem by lowering your compression.

vee521
02-16-2005, 11:27 AM
thanx guys, i am thinking about just dropping a crate motor in it,something around 400hp. that's probably better than doing a head and cam change.

streetk14
02-18-2005, 10:53 PM
If you are looking to run with a Viper, you are going to need more than 400hp. The older Vipers had 450hp and probably at least that much torque. I think that you might want to look into a stroker small block. You can buy or build a nice and powerful 383 for not a lot of $$$. It sounds like you already have a good intake, carb and exhaust. All you need is a well built short block, some good flowing heads (like AFR 195's) and a properly selected hydraulic roller cam. Most crate engine companies offer their engines in long block form. You should have no problem making a very streetable 450+ hp, and probably close to 500 lb/ft of torque out of a 383. I think that should give your Viper a run for it's money.
Andy

vee521
02-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanx Andy, I have been thinking so much about this car that am totally confused. I see a 406 with forged crank,rods and pistons with alum heads for sale on the net, that looks nice. I know its more than I need in this car, I just keep getting caught up in wanting big power and I dont really need it. I will get it finished and drive it for a few months, and then it will sit with the others in the garage, I dont know why I am like that. Maybe it time to dust off the drag bikes, and go racing again. sorry for the rant,but I do feel better. :smoke: