PDA

View Full Version : Priming oil pump???

skeeters65
07-15-2008, 12:40 PM
I installed a new cam in my motor and a new oil pump while I was at it..

Anyway how do you prime the pump??

Thanks

WS6
07-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Easiest way is the leave the coil packs unplugged at the central connector for each bank and turn the motor over by the starter. Don't run the starter for more than 10-15 seconds at a time. It'll take a few times to get the pressure to read. If after say 3 tries to prime it doesn't show up on the gauge, just fire it up and go. It should read almost instantly then. If it doesn't read after 3-5 seconds of run time, shut the engine down. If you lubed the cam properly upon install, you'll be fine doing it this way.

dhutton
07-15-2008, 09:08 PM
I raised the back of the car at least 3 feet in the air (I have a lift) and cranked it without the spark plugs installed. Got 20 psi oil pressure cranking it. I couldn't get any pressure before I raised it. Now it has 40 psi at idle and no issues since.

Don

zbugger
07-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Hmmm.... Check your oil pickup tube. Sounds like the o-ring isn't sealing. If you pinched it, you may have cut it. It does happen often enough.

MrQuick
07-15-2008, 11:14 PM
What kinda car are you working on Don? Most domestic pickups are in the rear of the sump.

But the easiest way is with a drill attatched pump primer. You can buy one for most domestic engines. Back in the day we'd pack the pump with vasoline and it would help get oil primed fast cranking. Straight cranking takes way too long.

dhutton
07-16-2008, 01:05 AM
[quote=MrQuick]What kinda car are you working on Don? Most domestic pickups are in the rear of the sump. quote]

It's an LS1 out of a 4th gen F body. I read about this trick on LS1tech.com. When you raise the back end high enough the oil level reaches the pump and it primes no problem.

Don

WS6
07-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Vince, the oil pump on an Gen3/4 is connected to the crankshaft. No way to turn it other than to turn the crank.

That's not a bad idea Don. You're basically allowing the oil to flow into the pump by gravity.

MrQuick
07-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Vince, the oil pump on an Gen3/4 is connected to the crankshaft. No way to turn it other than to turn the crank.

That's not a bad idea Don. You're basically allowing the oil to flow into the pump by gravity. yeah I missed the
LS part. I assumed it was an old schooler.:wf:

Mike Norris
07-17-2008, 04:08 AM
Pretty much as folks have said you need to crank the engine to get her primed correctly. I generally pull the plugs and be sure that the injectors and coils are inop. usually 2-3 30 second cranking cycles gets you where you need to be. I use a manual gauge while cranking to verify pressure is building.

You could also pour some oil into the pick up tube inlet of the oil pump during assembly. The oil will most likely run back out, but the slight lube coating assists in pulling the oil from the pan.

Hope this helps.