PDA

View Full Version : Does the value of a totally custom car go up?

34X2Camaro
08-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Take for example a first generation Camaro with very little original parts, minitubbed, aftermarket subframe etc... Let's say it get's appraised at $30K the first year you have it. It gets driven approximately 3000 miles per year and is very well taken care of. Do you think the car will still be worth $30K in 5 years, more, or less? What do you think will happen to the value farther down the line, 10, 15 years? With normal wear and tear but kept in ecxellent condition. What's your opinion on this?

PzeroTA
08-20-2004, 02:08 PM
I think the value of a well-done custom can increase the value substantially depending on the car and builder. It can be much less likely though starting with some of the desireable and quickly appreciating models. It also isn't guaranteed, so there is a fair amount of risk there. As far as driving and maintaining the car hurting its value, yeah probably. At that point it might become more comparable to the depreciation of newer cars. If the car is achieving notoriety while being driven, such as Big Red or others, that might increase its value to the right buyer. Maybe Charlie (Clill) or others that have bought some of the high end cars can chime in with better answers.

ProdigyCustoms
08-20-2004, 03:54 PM
The only chance a custom car has of appreciating is if it becomes a star car, re: substaintial press, covers, etc., and then it may bring crazy money to someone that falls in love with it, on the day of it's 5 minutes of fame. From there, it is all down hill value as styles and trends change. There is always an ass for every seat, but customs are built for your personal taste, and rarely will you find someone, years later, that appreciates your dated project enough to pay more then you spent. BTW, you will most probably imediatly be upside down in any custom, so if it is investment, get out now.

ZZ430
08-20-2004, 04:10 PM
My opinion is, I have to update and increase my insurance coverage every few years, the cost of parts and services are getting higher all the time, so the value should also go up.

34X2Camaro
08-20-2004, 04:44 PM
I don't expect to make money. As a matter of fact, as soon as the car my car is completed it will probably be worth anywhere between $10-$20K less than I spent to build it. It's a keeper and I don't plan on selling it anytime soon but I was just curious on other opinions.