PDA

View Full Version : relocating rear shocks

zboss86
02-14-2005, 11:50 AM
hey guys,

Does any body with mini tubs have close up pics of their rear shock relocations.

I'm looking into relocating the rear shocks, but I'm afraid I may hurt the ride quality. Any tips?

Shad

baz67
02-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Where and why do you want to relocate them? You do not need to move them with the DSE kit.

Brian

rockdogz
02-14-2005, 05:17 PM
Huh? Part of the benefit of the DSE kit is that you relocate the shocks. Not to the engine compartment or anything, :) but definitely inbound of the springs to give your rear rubber more room. You actually cut away the upper shock mounts if you follow their instructions - they give (as in sell) you a big metal channel to use as the new upper shock mount location. I don't know if I have pics of mine but I will check.

68BNUT
02-14-2005, 07:09 PM
checked your site out rock dog car is coming together nicely gonna be sweeeeet with that 502!!!

baz67
02-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Doh! You are correct Tom. What I thought and typed were two different things. They are moved in, but not inboard of the spring. The lower shock mount is the same relative to the spring. It is the top shock mount that is moved into the crossmember.

Shad, are you minitubbing your 68? You did not state if you are or not. If you are not minitubbing, you would not need to move the shocks in to gain tire clearance. If you are minitubbing, than just mock them up as close to vertical as you can without having any interferance within suspension travel. The more off of vertical you move them the less effective the shock dampening will be.

Brian

zboss86
02-15-2005, 05:36 AM
I am going to minitub it. I got my mind set on those 335's. Seems like every minitubbed car I've seen was a four link. But I want to keep the leaf springs and drop her down a few inches. I may have to use DSE's kit but I'm trying to avoid buying one. I know call me a tight wad, but I hate buying something I can make myself.