PDA

View Full Version : Accel DFI Error when connecting to ECM

thedugan
07-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Hope someone can help.

Looking to connect to my ECM for the first time.

Key is turned to Start. Have power and ground to the ecm confirmed. Laptop is connected to ECM via the USB cable. Have it set to the correct COM port

Error I get is

Please make sure both your DFI Gen7 ECM and you DFI Power Key are properly connected to your computer. Also verify that the switched ignition voltage is being properly supplied to the ECM.

Cant figure out whats the deal. Anybody have any ides.

Mkelcy
07-12-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm not familiar with Accel EFI, but I do know that the USB to serial port adaptation gives uses of the Holley Commander 950 EFI fits. I suggest you find a laptop with a serial port and try that before doing a lot of other troubleshooting.

thedugan
07-12-2008, 04:49 PM
I am working on that now. All I have is a Vista machine that has a serial port and Accel does not support that. This stinks I wanted to get this configured tonight.

Hammered
07-12-2008, 06:32 PM
I have the Accel Gen7 and I recall that the switched ign. and hot wires were confusing to get right. You also need to make sure that you address the correct COM port. Don't assume that because you have one port that it is COM1.

The engine does NOT have to be running but the ignition has to be on for the software to work. It will throw up an error code if the ECM is not on.

My bet is that it's a Vista problem but it's worth checking those other things.

1nova385
07-12-2008, 06:37 PM
If you have any adapters on the com cable -forget about getting it on line with the ECM- There is only one adaptor that works. And I cant for the life of me remember the name of it right now/ usa somthing hs/.
I used to work @ DFI and got a call every day for this issue.

If you do not have any thing plugged inline with the cable - right click the online to ECM and change the com port. - If that dose not work -- get an xp machine and try that. Hope this helps. \ By the way if you call dfi tech line- ask for Mike he will hook you up.

thedugan
07-12-2008, 06:44 PM
They have a serial and USB cable coming off the ECM so no adapter being used.
Error I'm getting now is Found Smart cable but cant talk to ECM. This is killing me

thedugan
07-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Oh and the Serial to USB adapter they say to use if you did need to use one is the KeySpan, model #UPR-112.

Again I dont need it as my ECM has the USB cable coming off the ECM

FYI for others

1nova385
07-12-2008, 06:52 PM
USB out of the ECM is new to me - but I have been out of the loop for 3 years.

Mine has a 232 only cable -

The key is on right?
Have you ever connected before or is this a new install?

Yep keyspan - but I recall diff. part #

1nova385
07-12-2008, 06:58 PM
I now see that the new com cables have USB support and the Keys built in them (about time).

Make sure to change the com port to different ones to see if you can connect by right clicking the online to ECM button

thedugan
07-12-2008, 07:31 PM
First time connecting. Getting ready to fire it up soon so I wanted to connect to the ECM to start the configuration

OHCbird
07-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Other than the double red / double black + and Ground cables, do you have 12VDC coming through the pink wire of your CalMap cable? It should be switched on with the ignition key on. If not, you'll have to backtrack & find out if you have a 12vdc source feeding the pink ignition feed (pin L3) That's what tells the ECM to start working...

Let me know if you need any help.

JEFF

EFI69Cam
07-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Do you have the fuel pump relay connected to the harness? You should hear it click when the ECM receives key up power, then click off a couple seconds later. If the relay is not connected look for +12v on the FP relay trigger pin for the priming signal.
This will tell you if the ECM is working.

thedugan
07-13-2008, 01:33 PM
12 volts at L3

OHCbird
07-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Are you getting switched 12vdc on your CALMAP cable? (the pink wire again)

thedugan
07-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks Ill go check that next.

The error I have been getting is
Error I'm getting now is Found Smart cable but cant talk to ECM. Smart cables require firmware version 3.2 or higher

thedugan
07-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Yes got 12 volts at the pink wire going in to the calmap usb/serial box.

EFI69Cam
07-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks Ill go check that next.

The error I have been getting is
Error I'm getting now is Found Smart cable but cant talk to ECM. Smart cables require firmware version 3.2 or higher

Not to be "captain obvious" here but is your ECM an older one? There have been multiple updates to the firmware on the Gen 7s in the last 4 years since I got mine. I think mine's a 3.2

thedugan
07-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks EFI.
No its new, got it last sept but the firmware is 2.4 I think. I have to call them in the morning and see whats going on.

OHCbird
07-13-2008, 07:45 PM
I'd go to www.accel-dfi.com (http://www.accel-dfi.com), and see if you can download newer firmware; as EFI said, you should be 3.2 or 3.3 with an ECM that new. Maybe it was on a dealer shelf?