PDA

View Full Version : New member from England

sixty8
07-10-2008, 12:57 AM
Hi everyone, I've just joined and thought I should say hello and introduce my car. I have '68 Camaro in what I would describe as a Retro look. You know, torque thrusts, red band tyres, no body mods. She handles like a barge and after recently owning a slammed V6 Golf (be kind) I wanted something that handled and stopped like a hot hatch but had that classic muscle car look. Hello Pro - Touring, being based in the UK though does limit my options on parts suppliers and builders who know what their doing. Chip Foose / Barry White type guys are not common over here. I've got a whole load of questions starting with wheel and tyre combinations and whether wheels intended for other makes will bolt straight onto my car, the one that springs to mind immediately are alloy wheels intended for the Jaguar bolt pattern of 5 x 120.69mm would they fit ? but I'll post those questions in the proper place.
Anyway it's great to be on here, take care.

RudeJester.s10
07-10-2008, 05:42 AM
Welcome!

neki67
07-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Welcome and although you're not from the mainland, I will regard you as a fellow European . . . ;-)

As for wheels, try BMW wheels, they're you're best bet and you have a whole variety of choices. Do a search on this forum and you'll find more than enough info on mounting Beemer rims on your 'maro. Yours truly is driving around on (BMW) BBS 17x8-1/2 front and 17x10 rear.

sixty8
07-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks for that, but do the beemer rims go straight on or did you use adaptors ? I did look at beemer wheels but thought the bolt pattern was to small for the Chevy.

6'9"Witha69
07-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Welcome to the boards.

neki67
07-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks for that, but do the beemer rims go straight on or did you use adaptors ? I did look at beemer wheels but thought the bolt pattern was to small for the Chevy.

No adaptors needed. Like I said do a search on this forum and most of your questions will be answered.

sixty8
07-14-2008, 03:55 AM
:twothumbs Thanks buddy. I've just taken a look at your ride in the PT garage. Wow ! that is a fantastic looking car. Can I ask a quick question, did you get alloys suited for the BM 3, 5 or 7 series. I'm thinking about the weight of the Chevy SB and the potential damage the rims would take on our potholed cruddy roads in the UK.

barno68
07-14-2008, 11:58 AM
5 and 7 series have the closest fit as far as offset.

paul67
07-14-2008, 01:18 PM
welcome where abouts in the uk are you.

1968CamaroSS_Sam
07-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy it here. There are some great people here.

neki67
07-15-2008, 01:32 AM
:twothumbs Thanks buddy. I've just taken a look at your ride in the PT garage. Wow ! that is a fantastic looking car. Can I ask a quick question, did you get alloys suited for the BM 3, 5 or 7 series. I'm thinking about the weight of the Chevy SB and the potential damage the rims would take on our potholed cruddy roads in the UK.

Your question has already been answered, yep 5 and 7 series can do the trick, but you still have to check the backspacing on your car. A 5 or 7 series weighs at least as much as a 1st gen and yours truly is running a BBC so don't worry 'bout that.

Sorry for my late reaction but that's due to personal circumstances.

Rybar
07-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Welcome aboard, so are you a Lewis Hamilton fan?

Mr.VENGEANCE
07-15-2008, 03:42 PM
glad i wasnt the only VW hatch guy that came here.

welcome!

CraigMorrison
07-15-2008, 04:48 PM
WELCOME! So what part of England? My wife was from South Kensington, and my in-laws are down in East Sussex.... We try to get over there at least once or twice a year. Not many muscle cars there, bue we have shipped parts over - thanks to the weak dollar we are even doing RHD parts now......

sixty8
07-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks everyone, sorry I've taken time to reply but work gets in the way of fun, bah !
barno68 - thanks for the info, I don't suppose you know what the ET should be for my car. You guys confuse me with all this back space stuff lol.
neki67 - thanks again for your input.
Rybar - yes I am a Lewis Hamilton fan. He is the reason I've started to watch F1 again. But as far as motorsport goes I'm probably more into Nascar and Touring car.
Mr. Vengeance - I see you still have a dub in your collection but have assigned it to your wife, ha. Still it is the best one to have, an R32. I wanted one but the muscle car bug bit and I spent my money on the 68
paul67 and craigMorrison - I'm in West Sussex. So only on the other side of the M23 to your in - laws.

paul67
07-16-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm in worcestershire 20mls south of birmingham,do you go to many meeting as I will prob be going to the nostalga drags in sept.

sixty8
07-16-2008, 10:42 AM
:) No not really, I went to Wheels day at the start of the season and in a couple of weeks time I'm going to the Worthing Rod and Custom show. Otherwise I just blast round with a buddy who's got a Gran Torino. I keep thinking about going to the drags but it's drive and with fuel priced the way it is............... maybe next year.

Mr.VENGEANCE
07-16-2008, 04:01 PM
i still have my 96 GTI aka Demon..

It was my first modified car. it started my passion.. so i had to keep her.

but she has no engine in her.. i will put one back in one day.

the R32 is one of the nicest cars ive owned.. but my wife BARELY drive it.. i bought it new in 04 and it has 8000 miles on it!!!

Lawrence
07-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Hello from a fellow '68 owner in South Wales. Its a daily driver when it's not bust, but it's fun. Ask Paul67 he's been out in it :)