PDA

View Full Version : Shockwaves on 67 Firebird front end.

Fluxion
07-09-2008, 09:53 AM
I have a 67 Firebird that is completely disassembled and I have the front sub frame out of the car to do some work. I need to reinstall it soon so I can complete the installation of my weld in sub frame connectors. I would like to do any cutting while it is out. I am planning on using Shockwaves up front but haven't purchased them yet. How much cutting to the existing spring pockets are needed? Is there a template or measurements online? What kind of mount is used on the top side for the Shockwaves, do they use the stock shock mount?

I do have more questions but this will get me through the weekend.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me, Bryan

darren@ridetech
07-10-2008, 05:31 AM
Here is a pic of what it will look like when finished. But I recommend actually installing them and checking clearance. Not every car is exactly the same. The top of the Shockwave will attach to the frame just like the factory shock mount, there is some trimming that must be done there too, see yellow mark on the coil spring retainer. While you are at it examine the welds holding the upper shock mount to the frame. GM's welds weren't very consistent back then.

Fluxion
07-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the Pics! That helps a lot! I have been searching on here quite a bit but couldn't find any pictures. I will go ahead and cut the hole for the shock while the subframe is out of the car since it looks like it will be easier. Thanks! I'll be able to order some Shockwaves by the end of next month.

BTW, how do the Shockwaves and Strongarms work with the Gulstrand modification?

darren@ridetech
07-10-2008, 11:54 AM
We have never tried the Gulstrand mod that the subframe in house, we normally use the taller spindle that we offer instead. The spindle offers more camber gain being that it is about 2" taller than factory.

Ragtop68rs
07-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Darren, Will a Baer track system that I run on stock spindles work on your taller spindles? Thanks, John

darren@ridetech
07-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Uses the same taper on the tie rods as a factory spindle.

darren@ridetech
07-14-2008, 01:02 PM
The steering arm is lowered, so I don't think that you will need it tho. You will have to measure the bumpsteer and see what it needs.

Ragtop68rs
07-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Darren, Is this your own design spindle or a Fatman spindle? If I have 5" of backspace on my front wheels is the steering arm going to hit the tire?

darren@ridetech
07-15-2008, 06:12 AM
18"s???

darren@ridetech
07-15-2008, 08:03 AM
We use the Fatman spindle.
It's gonna be really close....just depends on how much you need to lower the tie rod. The steering arm is about 1/2" lower than factory.

JT_67Tempest
07-22-2008, 09:41 PM
I know this isn't your particular model, but it is a great article showing how to install air ride on a 67 Tempest convertible. They do show pics on trimming the pocket to clear the shockwave. Might at least give you stuff to think about.

Johnny

Here's the link
http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/hppp_0505_air_ride_technologies_suspension/index.html

darren@ridetech
07-23-2008, 08:00 AM
I remember that article, that was a good write up.