PDA

View Full Version : mild steel to chrome molly

TBART70
02-13-2005, 02:51 PM
can mild steel be welded to chrome moly with a MIG. (matt you were right bought a hobart 180.)

parsonsj
02-13-2005, 03:05 PM
I've wondered the same thing. I ALWAYS use TIG for such a weld since I can find recommended methods for doing so on the internet.

I've never seen any such thing about using MIG.

jp

Matt@RFR
02-13-2005, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't do it, but it depends on what the application is. Yes, the two base metals will mix and lessen the 4130's knack for hot cracking, but not enough for me to be comfortable. Either way, you need to know that the joint will only be as strong as the weaker base metal (mild steel), so design accordingly. Mild steel filler (ER70S-x) is prefered.

If this is just a little bracket to attach sheetmetal or something similiar, go for it.

c5vair
03-04-2005, 06:54 AM
I dont use crome moly because anytime you weld anything to it or to the same materal it needs to be heat treated. Pickup a book called enginer to win. Phil

parsonsj
03-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Phil,

Not true. Check out this link at Lincoln (http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/chrome-moly.asp) .

jp

c5vair
03-05-2005, 05:14 AM
Well John this is one of those age old arguments so we wont do that but how are you I have been off the list for a long time. I am the guy building the ls1 corvair and we have talked about headers from edd several times. I will be opening my shop this summer. in grasslake michigan about a hour west of detroit. Phil West

parsonsj
03-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Hi Phil,

I do indeed remember our Eddy Henneman conversations. Good luck with the new shop. Got any new pics of the Corvair?

As for age old debates, this isn't one of them. Lincoln has done destructive testing using this technique and provided guidance to many professional race fabrication teams. I believe if there was a significant problem, Lincoln wouldn't have such information on its official website. This is just a case of old school being obsolete school. :)

jp

Matt@RFR
03-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Miller, the AWS, and I believe AICS all have articles that agree with the Lincoln article.

Their findings ASSume that the guy behind the torch knows what he's doing.

c5vair
03-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Ok I give . I just showed the car in dayton Ohio. Cars not painted yet. But there were people around the car all weekend. I will try and get some new stuff posted here. Phil