PDA

View Full Version : Howe ball joint question

s10cyncrvr
07-03-2008, 06:57 AM
I was installing my Howe tall ball joints and noticed in the instruction sheet that it said to torque to a certain rating and then in bold "not to overtighten". I torqued them to that rating. Now I need to get the cotter pin in. If I loosen the nut up, there is a bit of play. If I were to tighten them up, I would have to add another 20 ft-lbs. Which way should I go?

dhondagod
07-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Tighter is better, if there's play between the nut and the spindle then you'll have problems later and end up buying another b-joint and possibley a spindle.

If you need another 1/8-1/4 turn to get the cotter pin in, then do it.

Chris

megaladon6
07-05-2008, 05:47 PM
i've always seen to tighten the nut to line up the pin.

GBodyGMachine
07-05-2008, 05:58 PM
i've always seen to tighten the nut to line up the pin.

x2 Thats what I do

gearheads78
07-05-2008, 06:07 PM
I had a really hard time getting my pins in. Mine were not drilled through the center. So I had to basicly curve the pin to barley get it though. I still had to have one hole just starting to open up while the other side was closing the hole. Not sure if it was a defect or not but ended up with a couple are tigher than I like because I missed my window by lining up visble hole I could see assuming it went straight through.

David Pozzi
07-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Tighter is better, if there's play between the nut and the spindle then you'll have problems later and end up buying another b-joint and possibley a spindle.

If you need another 1/8-1/4 turn to get the cotter pin in, then do it.

Chris

X3 that's what I do and have read in the instructions. Backing it off is very bad, can cause a broken stud.

dannyuscg
07-05-2008, 07:35 PM
I have used the Howe low friction joints in all of my circle track cars. I have never had a failure due to being over torqued. I've had a few friends who have broken them due to crashes and excessive wheel banging.

s10cyncrvr
07-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys! Tight it is.