PDA

View Full Version : Stock wheel tub fitment help - 69 Camaro

redfire69
06-26-2008, 02:33 AM
So I think I made a mistake by going with the pre-welded stock wheel tubs for my 69 (inner and outer welded together). I seem to be having a fitment issue with trying to line up the tubs with the quarter panel, the tubs seem to far "in" and up. They are currently placed in the stock (?) position where the top lip is behind/inside of the inner quarter panel/trunk supports.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get these to align, maybe moving the top lip to the outside of the inner quarter/trunk braces? Or breaking the welds and installing in two pieces (is it easier this way)?

Thanks in advance, Ron

Taylor1969
06-26-2008, 05:03 AM
I think that you are supposed to always install them in two pieces. I actually clamped my outer down and fit the quarter to it before welding anything. How much weld do you have on there? Would it be that bad to grind it down? If you have to ruin the outers to get them apart it wont be that bad as they are around $70 IIRC

redfire69
06-26-2008, 05:28 AM
I think that you are supposed to always install them in two pieces. I actually clamped my outer down and fit the quarter to it before welding anything. How much weld do you have on there? Would it be that bad to grind it down? If you have to ruin the outers to get them apart it wont be that bad as they are around $70 IIRC

I got these from Classic Ind for 120 each side. They are spot welded together so I could drill those out possibly saving both inner and outer.

Fixing the outer to the quarter makes sense, so how did you fit it to the inner quarter/trunk structure? Did you just weld that lip on the outer edge as opposed to trying to get the lip behind it (like stock)?

Taylor1969
06-26-2008, 05:59 PM
I got everything lined up properly, clamped the inner to the quarter and then tacked a few spots. After that, I pulled the quarter off, welded the inner in place completely, and then put the quarter on and welded it up.

Here is one shot of the lip - I popped holes every inch or so and spotted them...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/06/1RS070-1.jpg

Taylor1969
06-26-2008, 06:01 PM
In the upper part of the picture you can see the brace welded in a U pattern and in the place where the inner/outer meet you can see the spots where the weld burned off the paint from the other side.

Taylor1969
06-26-2008, 06:03 PM
You can get the outer wheelhouses from summit...

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+400463+4294925082+4294908216+4 294908198+115+4294776202

HOTRODSHOP
06-27-2008, 12:41 AM
like taylor said,attach the outers to the 1/4 panels and you can use sheetmetal screws to mock everything up with. hang inners in and clamp in a place or two that will let you take it loose once outer and 1/4 is placed so it can be moved if need be and then line it all up and start putting sheet metal screws in,,you then can take 1/4 panel and outer wheel house out to get in and spot inner in,then using screw holes from earlier put outer to inner and weld,,then put 1/4 panel up,line up screws and weld.

redfire69
06-27-2008, 02:06 AM
Thanks guys, so the outer wheel house inner lip is going on the outside of the support structure, which will give you more adjustment when trying to line up the quarter on the car, this makes sense.

And Taylor in your pic above, if the fit is a little off, you would just grind down the wheel house to where it is flush with the lip of the quarter panel?

Thanks guys, this helps alot - Ron

Taylor1969
06-27-2008, 05:01 AM
Thanks guys, so the outer wheel house inner lip is going on the outside of the support structure, which will give you more adjustment when trying to line up the quarter on the car, this makes sense.

And Taylor in your pic above, if the fit is a little off, you would just grind down the wheel house to where it is flush with the lip of the quarter panel?

Thanks guys, this helps alot - Ron

Thats what I did - Once I had it all welded up I took and angle grinder and ground it down - it you take your time it is really easy because where the two layers of metal meet it becomes harder to grind and you know exactly when to stop. I don't have any pics, but once it was finished it looked factory. My outer wheelhouse didn't fit the quarter perfectly, so i had to use vice grips to clamp them for a tight fit when welding. I walked the clamps as I went welding, which did a little damage to the wheelhouse. I plan to roll the fenders in the next week or two which should straighten everything out.