PDA

View Full Version : Cold Natured, hard warmup....

rbr4155
02-11-2005, 04:09 PM
I have a 400 small block chevy w/ a weind 4psi blower, and the car turns over fine and runs good once going, but have to keep foot on the gas for at least 30 seconds to get it warmed up so it won't cut off. Anyone have any idea exactly why this is happening, and I'd greatly appreciate some tips to help fix it. Thanks guys!

Ryan

Zefhix
02-11-2005, 05:42 PM
I have a 400 small block chevy w/ a weind 4psi blower, and the car turns over fine and runs good once going, but have to keep foot on the gas for at least 30 seconds to get it warmed up so it won't cut off. Anyone have any idea exactly why this is happening, and I'd greatly appreciate some tips to help fix it. Thanks guys!

Ryan

Could be a few things.....no choke/larger duration cam....timing.....or simply your fuel line is not holding pressure and when you stop the car the fuel drains back to the tank and you have to pressurize your system again (assuming you have a mechanical pump). Has it always done this? Just started? Have you just got a big temp drop in your area? Do you have a choke on your carb? What kind of carb? Electric or mechanical fuel pump? Some of these answers can help narrow down the problem. Let us know :)

HILROD
02-13-2005, 07:19 AM
With the blower the mixture doesn't stay mixed or suspended well. I built a 383 with a 144 blower for my freind and I installed an electric choke on the holley. It helped a lot but it still needs to warm up or it will not run right at all. With the choke it is just easier. Set the choke and crank it up. Also when it's cold it floods VERY easy, FRANK

69Lowbird
02-14-2005, 11:45 AM
I have to crank my car for 30 seconds before it will start running too. I thought that the fuel might be draining back into the tank, since it only happens after it sits over night. Since the bowls still have fuel in them shouldn't the car still start regardless of how much pressure is in the line?

Zefhix
02-15-2005, 10:40 PM
I have to crank my car for 30 seconds before it will start running too. I thought that the fuel might be draining back into the tank, since it only happens after it sits over night. Since the bowls still have fuel in them shouldn't the car still start regardless of how much pressure is in the line?

The fuel could be draining out of the bowls and into the motor while it's sitting too...especially if you are running a Holley and the needle and seat valves are sticking.

69Lowbird
02-18-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm running an edelbrock 750. I checked the bowls before I started it one morning and they were full.