PDA

View Full Version : saggy panels

mach1stang
06-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Hey guys,
Our mustang is starting make some progress and our friend is going on vacation and on his way back he is going to swing into year one and pick up most of our panels, he is planning on coming back next week, I would like to take the old panels off and blast all the shell and stuff and put a sealer on them. Here is my problem I have heard that stuff starts to sag when you have the ld stuff off for a while, How long would it take for this to happen if it can even happen at all?

Thanks for your help.

BritishGreen68
06-21-2008, 04:30 PM
I never heard of that. I worked on a 65 fastback that was on a rotissere for about a year, which was supported by the front and rear bumper areas only, and no problems. (concourse type resto) They might flex a bit when you do that but shouldnt be anything permanent.

mach1stang
06-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Was it with any panel off like the quarter panels, we are replacing pretty much the whole back end of the car, it is still on the chassis which is welded to the rocker panels I don't really see it being a problem with it still being on the chassis.

MrQuick
06-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Metal will move around if not supported. If you are going to get it blasted, you can just cut small sections out to gain access for the blaster. Don't cut the full section out.

Be the best way to get around more work later.

mach1stang
06-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Ok, I will wait till we get the panels and do everything then. This may be a stupid question but I want to be sure, Year One's full quarter panels have the lip to overlap the roof and quarter right?