PDA

View Full Version : Finally making progress on my Camaro

camcojb
02-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Finally getting some things completed. Got the shell back today so at least I can get the suspension, engine/trans, wiring, etc. done. Here's a few pics, more in my sig.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/02/turboeng20011-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/02/susp20003r-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/02/paint20016-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/02/paint20010-1.jpg

Jody

protouring70
02-11-2005, 10:25 AM
that is beautiful!
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

paulk68
02-11-2005, 10:54 AM
What front suspension package do you have? That is th stock frame right? Looks great.
Paul

Flight396
02-11-2005, 10:56 AM
:jawdrop: Holy Crap, that is a thing of beauty. :jawdrop:

thejoker21
02-11-2005, 11:09 AM
What intake is used on that engine, where can I get one, and how much does it cost?

ViperBlue68
02-11-2005, 11:43 AM
What front suspension package do you have? That is th stock frame right? Looks great.
Paul

Jody,

Car is gonna be SICK!!!! :jawdrop: what front suspension is that like paul said.........

Matt
02-11-2005, 11:50 AM
That's a wicked intake manifold, very nice! What size turbos will you be running?

I've also never seen a shell that shiny before, I'd be tempted to leave it like that ala joe rogan.

protour_chevelle
02-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Looks awesome Jody! Paint looks to be top notch!

I believe the intake is a custom Hogans set-up?

-Matt

Piet
02-11-2005, 12:42 PM
I saw the pictures and my jaw dropped!

Nice work Jody!

skeevay
02-11-2005, 01:07 PM
That is AWESOME!

camcojb
02-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Paul

That is the factory subframe with the DSE upper and lower a-arms, plus their coil-over kit.

Jody

camcojb
02-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks everyone, it's much appreciated. That is a Hogans intake set-up that I bought used at a killer price (well, as compared to new!).

Jody

Ralph LoGrasso
02-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Looking amazing, as usual, Jody!!

bnoon
02-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Even the trunk jambs are more shiny than my entire car!!!:usa:

bloody-knuckles
02-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Beautiful car...i really like the paint...if you don't mind tell us more about it....colour,brand,etc.

camcojb
02-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Beautiful car...i really like the paint...if you don't mind tell us more about it....colour,brand,etc.

It's Dupont black, a Toyota color I believe with 72400 Dupont clear.

Unfortunately it's all coming off! I have to strip the car and this time I will paint it myself. The car got painted three times and too much paint in too short of a time is causing some small bubbling which will undoubtably get worse.

So I bite the bullet, strip the car again, and then shoot it myself this time.

Jody

MuscleRodz
02-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Your kidding? Thats to bad to here. It makes me sick to think about it knowing what it takes to get it that nice.

Mike

ProdigyCustoms
02-12-2005, 02:04 AM
Unfortunately it's all coming off! I have to strip the car and this time I will paint it myself. The car got painted three times and too much paint in too short of a time is causing some small bubbling which will undoubtably get worse.

Jody

Oh man do I hate that for ya, I do love black.

Steve Chryssos
02-12-2005, 05:10 AM
Un-freakin-believable! This is, by far, the worst part of building cars:

Outside Labor.

Guy walks into a deli, asks for a cup of coffee, pays for it, takes a sip and says "Excuse me, this coffee's cold."
Coffee guy replies: Oh, you wanted your coffee hot? That's extra.

When hiring outside labor, we may as well get a price quote and then ask (sarcastically): "Now how much extra will it cost to do the job right?" Or better yet, why not just fill the check out for some arbitrary dollar amount instead of the quoted price. "Oh, you want to be paid in full? Why didn't you say so. No problem--just do the job right."

I admire your patience and perseverence Jody. D.I.Y.

68protouring454
02-12-2005, 05:48 AM
3 times wtf?? what were they rushing?? missing dings here and there?? sounds like solvent bubbles, from rushing not allowing stuff to flash dry before topcoating, are the problems everywhere??
man nothing like buying nos sheetmetal, then before car is driven having 3 coats of base/clear and some primer on, the 2nd or 3rd time repainting, should of given ya a clue to yank it quick, just asking for problems, i can see maybe a burn thru while buffing, but with black he could of panel painted it to fix problem.
wonder why he did not see problems on final buffing??
goodluck
jake

Little Bob
02-12-2005, 07:05 AM
More pictures Please. Awesome looking paint :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

camcojb
02-12-2005, 09:05 AM
3 times wtf?? what were they rushing?? missing dings here and there?? sounds like solvent bubbles, from rushing not allowing stuff to flash dry before topcoating, are the problems everywhere??
man nothing like buying nos sheetmetal, then before car is driven having 3 coats of base/clear and some primer on, the 2nd or 3rd time repainting, should of given ya a clue to yank it quick, just asking for problems, i can see maybe a burn thru while buffing, but with black he could of panel painted it to fix problem.
wonder why he did not see problems on final buffing??
goodluck
jake

First paint job, looked great. Started color-sanding and buffing and went through on a couple of small areas on the 1/4 panel (painter did, not me!). Wasn't into the base coat, but left a milky image. Figured out he painted 3 coats of clear, sanded the whole car, and then added two more. No problem with this other than you now CANNOT go through the top two or you'll leave an image where you get into the sanded clear coat. He thought about blending the areas, but also figured we weren't done sanding and in all likeliness we'll go through several more. So he re-shot the car.

Second job looked awesome too. After completely sanding the car down we start to buff. Do about half a 1/4 panel and then notice some tiny white dots. They're UNDER the clear, on top of the base coat. Nobody else was spraying in the shop at the time he did, so he figured it must have been a dirty gun. They're all over the place so we can't leave them. On to job three and where we're at now.

The painter has been 100% stand up but I can't let him do it again. I will strip the car back to primer, re-block and primer, seal, and shoot it myself.

Jody

68protouring454
02-12-2005, 10:07 AM
sucks
thats why once you use a high quality clear you will not go back
2 coats spies/standox is like 4 dupont etc, serious go to paint shop and ask to pick up a gallon of spies/standox, and in other hand hold a gallon of dupont or other american paint, you will **** your pants, same goes for primers
also standox clear is 2-1-10-15% thinner, not 4 -1 i used dupont and would buff thru now and again, piss me right off, anyway using a high quality clear, you only need 2-3 coats and you will not burn thru unless you have no idea whats going on. i haven't in 2 years since switching over
jake

camcojb
02-12-2005, 10:43 AM
sucks
thats why once you use a high quality clear you will not go back
2 coats spies/standox is like 4 dupont etc, serious go to paint shop and ask to pick up a gallon of spies/standox, and in other hand hold a gallon of dupont or other american paint, you will **** your pants, same goes for primers
also standox clear is 2-1-10-15% thinner, not 4 -1 i used dupont and would buff thru now and again, piss me right off, anyway using a high quality clear, you only need 2-3 coats and you will not burn thru unless you have no idea whats going on. i haven't in 2 years since switching over
jake

I'm not going to blame the clear he used; on the second go-round I blocked the entire car aggressively with 400 and didn't break through a single area. I was very surprised to say the least. He said it was very expensive versus their cheaper clears.

Jody

68protouring454
02-12-2005, 10:46 AM
i am not blaming anything, i am just stating, 400 probaly was too aggrsssive thats why is dulled out when buffed thru, now had it been sanded with 1000 or so it may have buffed out, goodluck
nothing like redoing work already done
jake

camcojb
02-12-2005, 10:48 AM
i am not blaming anything, i am just stating, 400 probaly was too aggrsssive thats why is dulled out when buffed thru, now had it been sanded with 1000 or so it may have buffed out, goodluck
nothing like redoing work already done
jake

No, the 400 was in prep for new color coat and clear. On the first job where he went through the clear and left an image he'd blocked that clear with 1000 grit.

Jody

68protouring454
02-12-2005, 10:52 AM
anyways it was a cluster, now you can do it the way you want
have a good one
jake

camcojb
02-12-2005, 10:55 AM
anyways it was a cluster, now you can do it the way you want
have a good one
jake

biggest problem now is that since I'm re-painting it I can change the color! That is a bad position for me to be in! Took me months to pick black!

Take care Jake, appreciate the info.

Jody

Steve Chryssos
02-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Obviously a different situation than portrayed in my rant. So uhh, how does one strip a brand new paintjob?

B Cichocki
02-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Sorry to hear that Jody. But what happened to painting it orange? I thought that would be killer. Not trying to make a tougher decision for ya, just sayin'. :yeah:
-Brian

camcojb
02-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Sorry to hear that Jody. But what happened to painting it orange? I thought that would be killer. Not trying to make a tougher decision for ya, just sayin'. :yeah:
-Brian

Find me an orange like my rendering that doesn't have a ton of pearl in it and I'd do it. I can't find one.

Jody

colt zantop
02-12-2005, 04:41 PM
very very nice...that pain looked like glass! 3 times for paint sucks! good luck on your 3rd trial!

socalfandabodys
02-12-2005, 05:15 PM
try Lamborghini Orange

camcojb
02-12-2005, 05:24 PM
try Lamborghini Orange

I looked at that and to me it looked like it belonged on a Honda (no offense to Honda's!) Thanks for trying, I'd like to come up with it.

Jody

ViperBlue68
02-12-2005, 06:39 PM
I looked at that and to me it looked like it belonged on a Honda (no offense to Honda's!) Thanks for trying, I'd like to come up with it.

Jody

I think his Camaro is Lambo Orange :ssst:

BRIAN
02-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Guy that sucks to say the least. Did he use the same mfg straight through including reducers? Solvent pops look more like little crators not dots. If it is solvent you are in tough spot because do you risk going on top of that again without bare metal restrip? Why don't you have his paint rep take a look maybe a warranty issue he can push through if he stuck with same product. At least they may help you with product costs. As far as the high solids clear the Spies stuff is good but when cut sometimes leaves a sort of clear wave as it looks too thick. The so called German stuff is usually better product but there are many big dollar cars shot with Dupont and PPG with no problems so I would look at what was done vs the product. I just do not want to see you go through again. I would actually check what he shot on that car including his reducers and hardeners. There are just too many off brand products being mixed these days. As for the orange try looking at PPG or any other brands plain old orange toner color it is vibrant to say the least. You can than tone from there. If you were in NY I would gladly help you out. Actually if you have clear shot of actual color you want I can mix a 1/2 pint and give you formula to match. Good luck Brian

camcojb
02-12-2005, 07:33 PM
I think his Camaro is Lambo Orange :ssst:

If that's true I will apologize in advance, just a bit too flashy for me! No offense intended SoCal!!!!!!!

Jody

camcojb
02-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Guy that sucks to say the least. Did he use the same mfg straight through including reducers? Solvent pops look more like little crators not dots. If it is solvent you are in tough spot because do you risk going on top of that again without bare metal restrip? Why don't you have his paint rep take a look maybe a warranty issue he can push through if he stuck with same product. At least they may help you with product costs. As far as the high solids clear the Spies stuff is good but when cut sometimes leaves a sort of clear wave as it looks too thick. The so called German stuff is usually better product but there are many big dollar cars shot with Dupont and PPG with no problems so I would look at what was done vs the product. I just do not want to see you go through again. I would actually check what he shot on that car including his reducers and hardeners. There are just too many off brand products being mixed these days. As for the orange try looking at PPG or any other brands plain old orange toner color it is vibrant to say the least. You can than tone from there. If you were in NY I would gladly help you out. Actually if you have clear shot of actual color you want I can mix a 1/2 pint and give you formula to match. Good luck Brian

I would pay you to come up with the rendering color (the original orange one) that isn't full of pearl. SERIOUSLY! Nobody out here wants to screw with it.

It actually had pimples sticking up which sanded easily. There were other things too so I am stripping to my original primer, removing everything he did.

Jody

MuscleRodz
02-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Try the late Camaro Sunset Orange but remove some of the orange and add in more of the gold. It looks to be the same hue as you rendering, just need tweeking. If it wasn't Saturday night I would go down to the paint store and play around. It's nice when I can walk in and they let me mix my own paint!

Mike

socalfandabodys
02-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Non taken :cheers: . Its actually my brothers camaro. I own the chevelle. The lambo orange was able to be toned down a bit. When its not in direct sunlight it almost looks like a straight orange. I guess it takes so getting use to. By the way sweet car and I personally would stick to black. It never goes out of style and always attracts a big crowd.

ProTouring442
02-13-2005, 04:45 AM
sucks
jake

Umm... The Dupont Premier I used doesn't mix 4 to 1. It was 2parts Premier Clear to 1 part Premier hardener, then a max of 10% reducer. Seems to have a very nice build. They recommend 2 coats, though I always spray 4 so I can sand aggressively. Great depth and shine with high durability. What I don't understand is why he didn't just blend the sand through. You can't have an easier blend than black!

68protouring454
02-13-2005, 07:34 AM
glad to here they have stepped up to the plate, probably after they bought spies/standox a few years ago they figured out how real clear was to be made and mixed.
dupont owns everything!!! lol, they at least have not screwed with spies/standox, goodthing cause it does not need any screwing around with
jake

ProdigyCustoms
02-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Umm... What I don't understand is why he didn't just blend the sand through. You can't have an easier blend than black!

Really? Where are you so I can get a little training on blending black urethane in the middle of sanded and buffed panels on show cars? Not an easier blend then black?

68protouring454
02-13-2005, 09:15 AM
he did this is base/clear, so blending the black bas should not be a problem, then re-clear entire panel,
black urethane are you thinking single stage??
anyways i would not blend the clear, it will only break down in time, and if you do decide to repair, you would blend black then re-clear whole panel, which is not only that 1/4 but the roof, other 1/4 and you might as well thow in the tail panel too!!! lol
this car is gonna is gonna be perfect, i would not screw with blending anyhow or where, also it was not just a simple burn thru that he is dealing with, re-strip, start over, only way to do it
jake

camcojb
02-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Umm... The Dupont Premier I used doesn't mix 4 to 1. It was 2parts Premier Clear to 1 part Premier hardener, then a max of 10% reducer. Seems to have a very nice build. They recommend 2 coats, though I always spray 4 so I can sand aggressively. Great depth and shine with high durability. What I don't understand is why he didn't just blend the sand through. You can't have an easier blend than black!

That's what I thought, but he disagreed. He said no matter how good you are if you look close enough you'll see the blend line, either now or somewhere down the road.The only correct way is as Jake said above, clear the whole panel which in this case is the entire shell. Why not just re-spray it and not even deal with a blend? That was his thought.

Jody

ProdigyCustoms
02-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Blending in my book would mean blending the clear. I can blend clear on some colors, in some areas, but not on black in the middle of sanded and buffed panels. I can do even black, if it is not sanded and buffed, but a blend line will develope if buffed.
I am not rereading the entire thread, but I was fairly certain this is a quarter panel which means entire roof and both quarters have to be cleared. Obviously a little base won't add any film thickness, but the clear will, and that is what Jody is trying to avoid.
Jody, the blend line your guy is talking about is Bulls..t, there is absoulty no reason in the world the color could not be misted over the break thorugh, and then clear the panels to the first edge, long as the film thickness does not bother you, which it does.
If it were me Jody, I would block sand it hard with 400 and get a few layers off, maybe remove the second job, light base it, and reclear it.

Steve Chryssos
02-13-2005, 10:08 AM
I've spoken to Jody quite a few times in the last months. It's clear to me that he already had a very nice Camaro (his yellow ZL-1 clone). But he wants to build a TRUE no-excuses, no regrets hot rod.

camcojb
02-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Blending in my book would mean blending the clear. I can blend clear on some colors, in some areas, but not on black in the middle of sanded and buffed panels. I can do even black, if it is not sanded and buffed, but a blend line will develope if buffed.
I am not rereading the entire thread, but I was fairly certain this is a quarter panel which means entire roof and both quarters have to be cleared. Obviously a little base won't add any film thickness, but the clear will, and that is what Jody is trying to avoid.
Jody, the blend line your guy is talking about is Bulls..t, there is absoulty no reason in the world the color could not be misted over the break thorugh, and then clear the panels to the first edge, long as the film thickness does not bother you, which it does.
If it were me Jody, I would block sand it hard with 400 and get a few layers off, maybe remove the second job, light base it, and reclear it.

That was the issue. He can blend the black but then he'd have to clear the entire shell to keep the film thickness the same which is what I wanted. He decided to re-shoot a coat or two of base, and then re-clear.

Jody

68protouring454
02-13-2005, 11:51 AM
i hear ya, but even in collision world i always get a re-clear of entire panels, blend the base/ 99% of todays colors have pearl, etc in them, so it is not so easy to blend, if you do not know how.
as said, film thickness would be minimal, it would be the break down of the clear that would kill me in the 2-3 year range, maybe wuicker in florida.
standox makes a killer fade out thinner, that works awesome, and does not show a blend line at all, at least the way i spray it does not,,
but this is all bs cause this is a kickass car, and i would not think about blending anything on this car, as far as i would go is to just paint a fender or door over, if i scratch/ chip happen during assembly, goodluck jody,
now strip that bad boy
jake

Tiger
02-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Hey Jody,

that looks great, I just hope my car will be as shiny black as that when done (on the first paintjob).

Looks like a nice little engine you have there as well hehe.
Post more pics please.

ciao André

camcojb
02-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks guys. I am going to strip the car down to the primer we had before he started his paint job. Re-primer and block until I'm happy and then paint the car myself. More work than using his first or second job as a base but the only way to be 100% safe. I do NOT want to do this again!

Jody

68protouring454
02-13-2005, 01:26 PM
goodluck, lets kill this thread i wanna see dust floating in the air , go ut and get sanding, if i make the power tour, i better see that car
jake

BRIAN
02-13-2005, 04:34 PM
I know thread should be dead but honestly forget about who blends what as that will always be a hot debate in the collision industry. You really need to know exactly what caused that problem before you sand anything. First off either bake or let it sit in the sun for a couple of days so everything settles. I would look into using the best sealer whatever system you are using has to offer and start fresh from there. Good luck and the offer stands but you have to get me some sort of accurate color to reproduce. Like I said go to shop and look at his toner or tint color and go from there. Everybody see a color a different way. Good luck !!!

camcojb
02-13-2005, 05:56 PM
The car was baked at 140 degrees every time it was painted. The small bumps are a bit of a mystery, but there was also an issue of a sag the length of the 1/4 panel that he went to the basecoat in removing and then delivered the car to me anyway, probably thinking I would not notice (it is tough to see on black). However I did, and now will paint the car myself like I should have done in the first place! Safest thing for me is to remove basically all of the paint on the car down to the primer and start from there.

Jody

ballistic69
02-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Find me an orange like my rendering that doesn't have a ton of pearl in it and I'd do it. I can't find one.

Jody

Would the color of the "Copperhead" truck on the show Trucks work for you? Just a thought.

camcojb
02-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Would the color of the "Copperhead" truck on the show Trucks work for you? Just a thought.

I like that color too, but it's quite different from the orange rendering. I picked up my paint a couple of days ago and will post the new color choice when it's painted.

Jody

dslwizard
12-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Jody, I have not fininshed looking at you web page, but Damn! You have some top line cars there. Am sorry to hear the car had to be stripped again. I hope you will post more of it when you can. I also have a 96 reverse-flow LT1 shortblock out of a car the dealer thought had a vibration. 400 miles on motor but with no fuel injection or pulley equipment on it. Thanks for you updates, it's going to be HOT!
mike

Hidro
12-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Very nice project, stay with the black...

me likey

:)

ViperBlue68
12-05-2006, 01:59 PM
have you guys seen the post dates on this? I believe the project has been sold long ago.....

awr68
12-05-2006, 10:19 PM
You are correct J.T. He now owns Malitude....

Damn True
12-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Jody,

How's it goin?

camcojb
12-06-2006, 08:07 AM
Jody,

How's it goin?

Doing good, just working on Malitude. Got to get finished for Power Tour. Yes, the Camaro belongs to a friend who has not done anything to it in the last year. It may be getting finished though, we'll have to wait and see.

Steve68
12-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Saw this last night and thought Thread from the Dead, anyways hi Jody

camcojb
12-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Saw this last night and thought Thread from the Dead, anyways hi Jody

Hey Steve. Yeah, definitely an oldie! :hammer:

Jody