PDA

View Full Version : G-Machine Nitrous?

Steve1968LS2
02-11-2005, 09:45 AM
So what is the verdict? Any use for the funky-sauce on the track?

I thinking some sort of three stage shot.. 3 25hp shots at different RPM's.. either window switched or set on a manual trigger..

I plan on drag racing this thing too so I KNOW N20 is usefull there.. but what about on a road track..

Discuss... :drive2:

MarkM66
02-11-2005, 11:31 AM
I think for road racing, alot of guys seem to be building engines for their "g-machine" with pleanty of power as it is. Especially the guys useing superchargers or turbos. So I think from a power standpoint, most already have more then their driving skills can handle.

But if the driving skills are up to it, and so is the vehicle, then maybe a little nitrous shot on a long straight could be usefull. :firefire:

Matt
02-11-2005, 11:39 AM
I've never even heard of anyone using nitrous on a road course. I don't even think group B rally cars used it, and they did everything they could for more power.

The way I see it a 10lbs bottle lasts about 3-4 quarter mile passes on a ~125 shot, so a 50 shot might get 3 or 4 miles before bottle pressure became an issue. That's only one Lap on road america, where you would normally be doing at least 3 laps under real acceleration. Plus with the added dangers of having a compressed bottle of oxidizer with you in a form of racing where you a little more apt to have a spill....

Plus in messing with nitrous cars, I have yet to not have problems with progressive nitrous controllers, damned things never want to work.

Just seems like a bad idea to me. I'd put the 900 or so bucks toward a turbo kit, some head work, a FAST system, or drive line upgrades.

Nine Ball
02-12-2005, 04:54 AM
The winner of One-Lap last year, Ron Adee, in the MTI 427ci Vette, had nitrous on his car and kicked everyones but on the road course with it. Only used it for the straights.

Steve, you sound like a newbie talking all that three-stage "25 shot" stuff hahaha. Slap a 150 wet kit on there and put a progressive nitrous controller on there. Then it will ease into 100% based on a set amount of seconds that you select. 0-100% nitrous in 3 seconds or so. Makes it alot easier to launch on street tires, and its easier on the engine.

Steve1968LS2
02-12-2005, 08:46 AM
The winner of One-Lap last year, Ron Adee, in the MTI 427ci Vette, had nitrous on his car and kicked everyones but on the road course with it. Only used it for the straights.

Steve, you sound like a newbie talking all that three-stage "25 shot" stuff hahaha. Slap a 150 wet kit on there and put a progressive nitrous controller on there. Then it will ease into 100% based on a set amount of seconds that you select. 0-100% nitrous in 3 seconds or so. Makes it alot easier to launch on street tires, and its easier on the engine.

Just tossing stuff out there.. obviously the more straights the more benefit and it would be next to useless on say an auto-x course.

I only mentioned the 25 shot because that kit was the one pitched to me.. they have different kits :)

I have never ran nitrous so, except what I have read, I am a newbie. Tony, what do you know of Nitrous Express (Barry Grant)?

As for safety.. well if it can be made safe for the dragstrip then I am sure it can be made as safe for the track. Well at least for open track events. Besides, like tony, I plan on drag racing some as well.

MoeBawlz
02-12-2005, 09:26 AM
I'll be doing a nitrous kit on my car. It will be nice for the strip, and a lot of fun to destroy someone on the straights on a road coarse when they think my car isnt as fast as it really is.

Nine Ball
02-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Steve, isn't your bottom end built too? There are guys spraying 200 shots on stock bottom ends. If you have a forged internal engine, you could easily spray 300 if tuned properly and you have head studs.

I'd add a 100 wet kit to start with. You should be able to run that all day long without problems. NX kits are very nice, thats what I'm putting in mine (their MAF replacement kit)

I had a 100 dry kit on my first car (the Formula). I was the first LS1 owner to crest 130 mph trap speeds back then, and that was on regular Firestones. It went 11.1, with heads/cam/nitrous. I got greedy and jetted it up to a 125 dry shot and cracked a piston. Wet kits are much safer.

USAZR1
02-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Nitrous Express is right down the road from my house. The owner,Mike Woods,is an old friend and helped me set up the NX Gemini Twin 150-225hp two stage direct port install on my 90 ZR-1. On the motor only,the car made 422rwhp. With just a 150 shot,it made 568rwhp and 612rwtq. Running BFG drag radials and 4.10 cogs,it went 10.70's at over 132mph. I've run squeeze on many of my prostreet bikes and a few of my cars. It's definitely a hoot. On my ZR-1,I used dual 12lb carbon fiber bottles and one of NX's digital nitrous controller.

gen3bu
02-12-2005, 05:00 PM
tony i was over at the ohio boys racing garage today and they were swapping an engine that was running a 250 multi-stage dry kit and it still ran good at removal (upgrading to an are 408). the car ran 10.70's all day from what they said. it never even had a valve cover off.

kevin

Steve, isn't your bottom end built too? There are guys spraying 200 shots on stock bottom ends. If you have a forged internal engine, you could easily spray 300 if tuned properly and you have head studs.

I'd add a 100 wet kit to start with. You should be able to run that all day long without problems. NX kits are very nice, thats what I'm putting in mine (their MAF replacement kit)

I had a 100 dry kit on my first car (the Formula). I was the first LS1 owner to crest 130 mph trap speeds back then, and that was on regular Firestones. It went 11.1, with heads/cam/nitrous. I got greedy and jetted it up to a 125 dry shot and cracked a piston. Wet kits are much safer.