PDA

View Full Version : Recess a fuel cell

ChevyIIMan
02-11-2005, 07:10 AM
I am looking to recess my fuel cell in the trunk. Whats the best way to go about this? Build a frame from framerail to framerail with tubing and plate it with sheetmetal?

Anyone have any pictures of how this is done?

parsonsj
02-11-2005, 11:35 AM
That's exactly what I've done to my Chevy II. Follow my sig for pics.

jp

scogin918
02-11-2005, 11:44 AM
look at www.hotrodstohell.net . There's pictures of a '69 Camaro build-up that includes a recessed Fuel Safe fuel cell. He built a basket underneath the trunk pan and the cell fits flush. it looks pretty bada** from behind the car.

63SW
02-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Im sure theres a lot of different ideas on this subject but heres mine for what its worth!

take fuell cell demenssions and copy to trunk floor in desired location.
TEMPLATES ARE ALWAYS A HELP!

Use a cutoff wheel ( or even a plasma cutter if available ) and remove that section .

Fabricate a a drop in boxed area out of a suitible thickness ( say 18-24 ga ) for the depth you want to recess the cell with a 1/2 inch to 1 inch flange at the top to weld to factory floor.

Remeber to build a drop area for the sump if you have one.

Set fuel cell in place and messure the length of the 2 top mounting straps and make the nessesary bends ( if you have mounting straps , you can usually just cut each end and bend for flange to mount to floor)
With straps in place , drill the 4 holes through straps and Floor .
and bolt in.

Also , messure for the fuel lines at the sump and usually , i use a 1 1/4 inch hole saw, and drill hole for lines.

You can line the box with a foam rubber mat befor you drop in the cell to avoid wear if you like.

Then if you like , Build a Top cover for the cell with a fuel door access.

Just my idea!

ChevyIIMan
02-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks deciding on wether to do this or replace it with a stock tank....

all depends on how my exhaust ends up.