PDA

View Full Version : A good pro-tourer 12 bolt posi??

MStennes
02-11-2005, 06:53 AM
I'm going from a 3.73 posi to 4.11 posi which should I look at? I know there are different/better than the factory posi but I'm not sure which way to go with all the choices??? My cars main use will be touring with some track use.
Thanks,
Mike

MrQuick
02-11-2005, 11:39 PM
Are we talking gear or posi unit,diff? Eaton makes a nice unit for your application.The cone Auburn units are cool for street mild track stuff, if you maint them.
Gears , i like Richmond gearI've heard guys talking about them being noisy but I haven't had any problems...yet?

Zefhix
02-12-2005, 01:30 AM
I'm going from a 3.73 posi to 4.11 posi which should I look at? I know there are different/better than the factory posi but I'm not sure which way to go with all the choices??? My cars main use will be touring with some track use.
Thanks,
Mike

If you're asking for input on gears too, I'll tell you that the difference between 3.73's and 4.11's isn't much. Maybe 300RPMs? I'd say as long as your gears are fine put the money into some stronger axles and a good posi. I like the Eaton units..they've always been good to me and they're rebuildable

MStennes
02-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Yes I did get new axles I'm debating on replacing the posi since I plan to go to 4.10s, and you cant run a 4 series gear on a 3 series unit. I dont want to spend a ton as I plan to go with a Currie rear that I want narrowed about a inch on each side next fall.Gear brands would be appriciated too. Thanks Mike

chicane67
02-12-2005, 01:16 PM
I like the USGear, gear sets myself. None better in my opinion.

As for your posi, there is still nothing better than an Eaton, which IS the exact OEM type posi used in the factory units. You dont need a new posi, just rebuilt it with a late model clutch pack and get on with it.

MStennes
02-12-2005, 07:58 PM
What about running a 4 series gear with a 3 series carrier? My stock gears are 3.73 and I want to go to 4.11?

chicane67
02-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Use a "Thin" gear set. They are made for using the three series case. The part number you will want to get is: 01-888411X

A second gear set I would use is Precision Gear. They are made off of the old USGear dies and are basically the same exact product, but with a different name. They have quite a few "thin" (for use on three series carriers) and "thick" (for use on four series carriers) gear sets available to do exactly what you are trying to accomplish without having to purchase a new carrier (posi).

**EDIT: For dyslexic explaination

David Pozzi
02-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Make sure you actually look at your carrier first. You may have a spacer in there now.