PDA

View Full Version : Front suspension lowering

Happyfunballs
02-11-2005, 05:32 AM
What is the lowest I can go in the front to achieve an acceptable driving stance? I would like to get the fender lip at the same spot as the top of the wheel.(67 rs convert with an 18" rim and 35 series tires) I have 2" drop springs already....will that suffice, or do I need to go lower?

Thanks fellas.

Steve Chryssos
02-11-2005, 05:53 AM
Well, You've got 18's, so you may be able to run dropped spindles without clearance issues. But I'd stop here. Going lower requires that you consider the whole car: Exhaust to ground clearance, rear springs, oil pan to ground clearance. When you are done, speed bumps and steep driveways will look like mountains. And poor, defenseless creatures that are scurrying across the road, won't stand a chance. If you are just trying to fill the wheelwell gap, consider a 40 series tire. If you want to have the world's lowest Camaro, forget it--MuscleRodz channeled his body over the frame. Game Over.

MuscleRodz: 1
The Rest of Us: 0

Would love to see pix and hear more specs (stuff described above)

Conekiller13
02-11-2005, 06:08 AM
................also, You don't want to go any lower than Your lower control arms being parralell with the ground.if that phrase makes since. If You lower the car so far that the lower arms are pointing up You'll have crazy bump steer. :hmm:

dennis68
02-11-2005, 06:37 AM
................also, You don't want to go any lower than Your lower control arms being parralell with the ground.if that phrase makes since. If You lower the car so far that the lower arms are pointing up You'll have crazy bump steer. :hmm:
Unless you are using any method other then springs to accomplish the drop, LCA working angle only becomes an issue with spring drops, spindles and modified LCA's don't change the LCA working angle.

Happyfunballs
02-11-2005, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the reply fellas. I'm quite familiar with all things low. I bagged a brand new 99 F150 years ago, completely rebuilding the susp and fabing my own 4link. I don't intend to bag the camaro yet, as I don't even have it together. I'm a firm believer in the "more burger than bun" ratio when it comes to wheels and tires, so I'll probably stick with the 35's(I do appreciate your opinions though)and may seek to lower the stance a bit more. I'm more concerned with the looks rather than performance. I hope that doesn't get me banned.lol

MarkM66
02-11-2005, 08:07 AM
I'd like to see some pics too. When's it going to be done? I'd like to see it when it's done, as I think you're close to me.

whytry
02-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Mine was bagged for awhile. I took the air off of it so I can drive it alot harder.... I am familiar with low too, I had a 97 Tahoe Bagged on 22's Truckin vehicle. My Camaro has 18's and a 205/45/18's on it, and I used to take off road reflectors when it was bagged... After going through a set of collectors, (dragging them off) and creating a huge exhaust leak, I decided enough was enough..... Now I am springs all around again.

Happyfunballs
02-11-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm hoping to be done with it in the next few months. I'm gonna do the 18's and 20's route. Had to weld in new subframe mounting plates today....it's coming along. In Ofallon, MO. Mark. You have a yellow 69 at one point?

MarkM66
02-14-2005, 06:24 AM
Yeah, I had a yellow '68. I live near Wentzville.

I'm doing a '70 Nova right now. It'll be out this summer.

Let me know when you take it out this summer.