PDA

View Full Version : Can I powdercoat a fuel tank?

brownz
06-18-2008, 06:38 PM
I have a new gas tank that i will be sending to rockvalley to be set-up for my Ls1-t56 and my question is can a gas tank be powder coated? with it being new i would think that you would not haft to blast it but iam not sure thats why aim asking, again dont blast me if its a stupid question

Damn True
06-18-2008, 10:31 PM
How about some indication as to the subject of the thread in the thread title?

brownz
06-19-2008, 06:16 AM
i thouht that powder coating was like paint so thats why its in the body section.

derekf
06-19-2008, 07:34 AM
I believe his question was more of a "why not title the thread with some indication as to the contents instead of 'might be a stupid'"

You'll likely get better quality results with "Can fuel tanks be powdercoated" as a topic. I don't typically read threads that have unspecific topics, and I'm an amateur at everything -- I can't help but imagine that the folks that actually know have less time to read threads that they don't know the subject.

I might be wrong though, either about what experts are willing to do or about his suggestion. With the space before the question mark, I initially read the subject as "might be a stupid", which made me think it was another humor post. With all that said: I don't know if you can powdercoat a gastank or not.

derekf
06-19-2008, 07:39 AM
"If you ever chip the bondo off your Camaro and find you actually bought a Yugo, you might be a stupid."

"If you mow your lawn and find the seats from your car, you might be a stupid."

"If you use gasoline to clean the soot off your torch, you might be a stupid."

You get the idea. I'm a little humor impaired, so if you've got better ones, substitute in your mind.

:)

brownz
06-19-2008, 01:10 PM
"If you ever chip the bondo off your Camaro and find you actually bought a Yugo, you might be a stupid."

"If you mow your lawn and find the seats from your car, you might be a stupid."

"If you use gasoline to clean the soot off your torch, you might be a stupid."

You get the idea. I'm a little humor impaired, so if you've got better ones, substitute in your mind.

:)

ok thanks misread that will change thanks

Alchemist
06-19-2008, 05:59 PM
You can powder coat your gas tank if it's metal!

Plastic gas tanks/parts cannot be powder coated since they melt at oven temperatures when the parts are baking. Large amounts of body filler, being plastic, cause similar problems but this can be overcome with special metallic body fillers.

brownz
06-19-2008, 06:23 PM
You can powder coat your gas tank if it's metal!

Plastic gas tanks/parts cannot be powder coated since they melt at oven temperatures when the parts are baking. Large amounts of body filler, being plastic, cause similar problems but this can be overcome with special metallic body fillers.

cool thanks for the info. yes its a new metal tank.

Thanks again Brandon

Alchemist
06-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Your welcome! Make sure you look for a reputable powder coater who is familiar with powder coating auto parts. Take a look at samples of the final finish before you bring your parts to them!

nekkidhillbilly
06-23-2008, 12:14 AM
actually some plastics can be powder coated too depends on how the handle heat you have to spray them with a conductive primer

bearcat
06-23-2008, 06:31 AM
Big gotcha.....you may have to remove the filler neck depending on the weld, otherwise it will melt off. If you bought a new one (I did it) you should be fine.