PDA

View Full Version : DSE PS pump with TPI Serpentine Belt?

Chevy
06-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm running a '68 Camaro in local SCCA and am in the middle of switch to Holley Stealth Ram EFI and decided to go to a serpentine belt system from a '92 Camaro at the same time. I'm using DSE steering gear and their power steering pump with integrated resevoir.

The PS pump does not bolt up, i think i need to cut a chunk out of the TPI bracket and weld something in that i can bolt the pump to.

In addition, the TPI pulley has a larger diameter hole than the shaft for the pump, so i guess i'll need to machine a "tube" with the correct dimensions to fit inside the TPI pulley but with the ID i need to press onto the pump, then weld it into the pulley.

Also the pulley interferes with the banjo fitting on the pump so it'll have to be offset a little (should be able to take care of this with my "tube").

Has anyone done this before? Anyone have a shortcut for me or something i didn't think of you would like to point out?

Mike Holleman
06-18-2008, 04:15 AM
I'm dealing with a similar problem on a DSE pump for my LS2. Mine fits except for the pulley. The DSE pump shaft is .662 OD. If your pulley works otherwise have a machine shop bush it to these dimensions for a press fit. Or locate a pulley for the .662 shaft.
Mike Holleman

silver69camaro
06-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Mike, KRC Power Steering has the bushing you need to adapt your TC pump shaft to your LS pulley. It's just a bushing to step up the shaft diameter to 0.662".

Chevy
06-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Mike, KRC Power Steering has the bushing you need to adapt your TC pump shaft to your LS pulley. It's just a bushing to step up the shaft diameter to 0.662".
Silver69,
I just searched their website and didn't see the bushing...i did see a serpentine PS pump pulley with 0.6645 ID:

http://www.krcpower.com/catalog_i6511662.html?catId=270057

Doesn't seem like this will be a tight fit with the .662" OD quoted for DSE. Is the 0.662" a standard GM size? Do you have a part number for the bushing you mention? I need one that is greater in length than the pulley's depth to correct a little offset with the pulley i have (standard TPI).

thanks,
paul