PDA

View Full Version : Tony Huntimer's Camaro Wheels

johnm
02-10-2005, 07:21 PM
I know these are magnesium, are they the ZR1 style?

SHANE 73Z
02-10-2005, 08:05 PM
john,

I believe they are 4 front wheels from an early c5. They were an option for them. I believe they are 17x8. I hope Tony will chime in to confirm.

Shane

JamesD
02-10-2005, 10:31 PM
his web site www.racehome.com has lots of info on them.

johnm
02-11-2005, 04:01 AM
Yes, I have read that a couple of times, but the ZR1 question isn't answered there. They look quite similar to the ZR1 wheels, which are more readily available. I just wanted to know if he used these cause they were magnesium, and lighter, or because of the particular shape, if it is unique to that rim.

MarkM66
02-11-2005, 07:33 AM
Shane did answer your question. They are from a C5. There was no C5 ZR1.

johnm
02-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Gotcha. I appreciate the help guys.

john

will69camaro
02-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Here is a link to some for sale:

http://www.chevyautobodypartstore.com/auto-body-parts/CHCORVETTE9802ALY05061U10.html

Kinda pricey but cool looking. Anyone know how much they weigh?

William

TonyHuntimer
02-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey John,

Sorry for not chiming in a few days ago.

They are 17x8.5" wheels all the way around. The standard C5 wheels are aluminum. The ones I have are a special option magnesium wheel. They are shaped different too. They are pricey, but I've seen a full set of them go for $500 (with tires) on EBAY. So keep your eyes peeled. They are VERY light and really make a difference in overall performance... imagine not having to spin and stop all the extra weight. :)

I used them because I got them at a great price. The fact that they are sooo light was just an added bonus.

Here's a link to some info on the wheels and fitting them:
http://www.racehome.com/techwheelfit.htm

Take it easy,
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Joe_Rocket
02-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Tony, I am curious, since I see you run the Aluminum Wheel Adapters. How long have you been using them, any issues, and how well they've held up?

TonyHuntimer
02-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Joe,

Here is a long winded answer.

At first I thought I was going to have all kinds of problems with excessive wheel bearing wear, so I checked them every few thousand miles. No problems, even when beating the car on highway 9 in the Santa Cruz Mountains on a daily basis.

I also worried I was going to have one loosen up on me and lose a wheel. I never had an issue. I used the lug nuts with the correct length shanks.

There are a few companies offering wheel adapters using accorn seat lug nuts to attach the adapter to the hub/rotor assembly. I prefer to use lug nuts with a shank and large washers... as seen in this photo (washers not shown)
http://www.racehome.com/images/techfebadapteron650.jpg

I check the torque on the adapter lugs every once in a while. I torque them to 90 ft pounds. The only time I had a lug loosen up on me was when I had a shop put them on, which re-enforcers the reason I like to as much of my own work as possible. I have not used an air gun to install lug nuts since high-school and would NEVER do it again unless I was on a pit crew and the speed of installing a wheel was important. I always use a torque wrench and put anti-seize on my wheel studs.

I've been using them since 1997 and I have put about 18,000 miles on them.

I hope that answers your questions,
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

USAZR1
02-20-2005, 01:08 PM
I think those wheels were made by Speedline for GM.
I've used Vette Brakes & Products billet adapters w/o problems.

TonyHuntimer
02-20-2005, 06:45 PM
I forgot to say...

I love the adapters and have not had problems with them.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com