PDA

View Full Version : Bind with new steel front bushings

derekf
06-16-2008, 05:35 AM
Installed most of the front suspension in the El Camino this weekend. Lower control arms are stock GM with steel bushings. Driver's side went in without much difficulty and moves somewhat easily (bushings aren't yet lubed).

Passenger side is a bit more difficult. After I put the first bolt in, the other bushing was off by ~ 1/2". (to be specific, I put the rear bolt through first, and the front bushing was outboard by about that distance).

I'd had some frame work done to the car years ago, the frame had torn free at the rear mount on that side:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/06/frame1-1.jpg

I got the repairs done by a shop here in Dallas that was highly recommended by the local Camaro club - Advantage Autoworks, so I have to assume they did a good job; I certainly didn't have any problems with it until now (although their weld is a bit on the ugly side):

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/06/08061558-1.jpg
(sorry about the pic size, I can't fix until I get home, no access to photo hosting sites from work)

The arm does move, but with quite a bit more effort than the other side.

I'm guessing that they didn't quite get things lined up right with the rubber bushings, even though they were relatively new.

How worried do I need to be? I'd guess that either something will bend to get lined up better, or the mount will tear free again (and at that point could be rewelded in a better spot) - or is this a case of drop-everything-and-send-it-to-a-frame-shop-NOW? Is there a chance that the problem is the LCA and not the frame (it doesn't look bent)

gearheads78
06-16-2008, 06:28 AM
How did you install the bushings in the control arms? When I was first installing mine I tried to push in to the press both sides at once. This ended up bending the control arm in. It was hard to see but it was bent. It was off by about 1/2" from sliding in both frame slots.

To check it take a long piece of 1/2" rod and see if it will slide right through both bushings without any effort at all. If this is your problem you can see how I fixed mine in my build thread on page 2. Good luck.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42257
Richard

derekf
06-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Thanks, Richard, I'll pull it apart this weekend and give that a try. I did do the bushings one bushing at a time instead of doing like you describe, so I'm thinking that's probably not it... but a very valid test.

MrQuick
06-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Hopefully it was re welded in the proper spot. If it was welded using the control arm to line it up then that is most likely the problem.

You can run a 1/2" rod through the holes. They should all line up.

derekf
06-28-2008, 01:16 PM
It's the frame; the arm is just fine. The front hole on the rear frame mount is close, but the rear hole is ~3/8" off.

What's the better way to fix this -- cut the whole mount off and reweld, or weld up the old holes and make new ones in the right places?

I do have to take everything nice back I said about Advantage Autoworks though. Dammit.

derekf
06-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Back to the top -- any input would be helpful. What's the best way to fix this?