PDA

View Full Version : Instant Center, Anti Squat and Roll Steer

The WidowMaker
06-15-2008, 12:58 PM
im working on the rear suspension for my 70 chevelle right now and its gotten out of control. im running the c6z brakes and because of the caliper offset, the wheels would need to push the spokes outward and they would appear to have a small lip. since i can move everything inboard 4" before the caliper hits the frame, ive decieded to narrow the rear. but when i do this, i must move the lower shock mount. since im doing that and the rear is so low (id need to cut my already short 11" springs), ive decided to run coilovers.
so heres the dilema; right now my ic is 50" at 8" above the ground and my antisquat is ~85%. but, that is with the current tires (new will raise the rear 1")( 2" dia change). doing so would increase my AS since the cross would be at 9" above the ground and the neutral line would stay the same. since im going to coilovers and will have more control of the rear, id like to lower it another inch to tuck the tires in a little more. this would still give me 3" of bump travel which should be more than enough with the stiffer springs. but this also puts me at ~150% AS at 30" out.
so heres the question. if i drop the rear and angle the lca down towards the front 2*, in a turn with one bar at 0* and the other at 4* (the worst case scenario) one bar will be about .020 longer. how much roll steer am i going to experience? this would get my AS down to about 100%.
my other option is to move the front mounting pt of the UCA up. id have to make some mounts, a new crossmember or modify whats there.
how does a long IC differ from a short IC? what would happen if the ic was in front of the car? where do you measure the intersection of the front wheel veritcal line when the IC is in front of the car? half way inbtwn the two lines? how much roll steer before it makes a difference? ive dropped the rear a ton to get it wheres its at. this car stock must have had at least 10* of upward angle, so i dont see how 2* down is anything other than an improvement.
Thanks, Tim