PDA

View Full Version : New from So Cal - 1969 Firebird Convertible

Bandit69
06-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just bought a 1969 Firebird convertible from friend who lost interest. Car sat for past 2 years by beach so I've spent last 6 months just getting it driveable again. Now, its time to fix it up.

First I must admit that initially I'm more of a OEM/slight restomod fan than pro-tourer (Give me 15 inch 60 series tires on Cragar five spokes any day). However, taking a look at the pictures on the site of everyones cool rides has changed my tune a bit. (I may even allow myself to go wild and move up to 17 inch wheels!) Ideawise, I'm thinking of four different looks but all will be based on the look of a 1969 Firebird Trans Am (stripes/hood scoop/rear wing).

Black with Gold Striping - I'm thinking a 1969 version of the Year One Burt Reynolds Edition Trans Am they've created. (Hence, my username). I think their new snowflake billet wheels look great and want to see them on an older firebird

Orange with Black/Yellow Stripes - car was originally Carousel Red which is the color most associated with 1969 GTO Judge. I'm thinking trans am stripes but using the black/yellow combo like the Judge stripes

Candy Red with White or black stripes - saw Rybar's 69 Camaro and just loved the color

Candy Blue with white stripes and red pinstripes - saw something similar recently on "Overhaulin" to a 1967 Camaro.

Those are the basic themes for my ride. I will continue to check out this site for other great ideas for engine, suspension, and especially a dash gauge panel. (Does anyone know if the DSE panel for 69 Camaro will fit the firebird?)

70bird
06-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Nice bird!
Welcome to the site.

dropit69
06-14-2008, 08:43 AM
nice firebird..i have one that has steel factory wheels and i like it ..alot better than them 70's cragars that are on yours now..no offense..lol..whats nice about wheels is so easy to go back to stock....

ProdigyCustoms
06-15-2008, 11:27 AM
When we first put Project EmptyNest on the drawing board almost 2 years ago, Black and Gold was the first choice, in fact that was the first color I had rendered, with Gold Snowflake wheels! I have that rendering. Our exact theme was a 69 Bandit Trans Am. In the end it was a no brainer to do the original white and blue theme with a twist. While I AM NOT a white car kind of guy usually, I am very happy we did the white.

We have another Firebird convertible body that is pretty nice. That one will probably go black and gold. But don't let that stop you.

On another note, if you need any parts or project planning, feel free to contact us. We have everything you will need.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

6'9"Witha69
06-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Welcome to the site from another SoCal'er. Nice ideas on colors. I prefer Blue/White myself.

Steve Firebird
08-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Welcome aboard. Firebirds rock.